Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Does anyone know if you purchase Konfabulator for you Mac if you are entitled to run it on your Peecee as well?

I figure you still need to pay for it, however some companies like Opera have ran a get a free license for another platform deal before.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
You need to buy a seperate liscence - one for mac, one for windows.

That kinda bothers me, and I don't agree with it.

Should Arlo get paid for his software? Yes. But he shouldnt' make loyal customers pay for the same thing twice just because they'd like to use it on their windows machine, or vice versa.

Especially since an overwhelming majority of the widgets are created by normal folks like you and I who DONT get paid for that work.

I could understand it more if it was an app from a big company, where only that company developed it. But a small 'utility' made by one guy, who the general population develop widgets for...to charge them twice is ridiculous.

Arlo needs to realize the only reason Konfabulator is so popular is that other people have created an unlimitted amount of widgets for him to put on his site (and they do that without getting paid for it, keep in mind). He needs to realize those people are doing HIM a favor, and he should cut them a break in return.

</rant>

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Well, er: the widget writers could get paid for their work if they chose. They could set up their own site, arrange for payment processing, advertise, and handle tech support.

Or if that was all too much hassle for the occasional $10 registration, they could just make their widget freeware. Which most have elected to do.

That has nada to do with how the writer of Konfabulator chooses to write the terms of his license. The way it stands, if having it on the Win box is of value to you, you pay for that value. If it isn't worth anything to you, then it'll be no hardship to do without it.

Interesting reverse argument that a large company can get paid for installs of the software on multiple machines, whereas a single programmer shouldn't.

I'm a loyal Sony purchaser, by the way, so Sony ought to give me a free TV for my den 'coz I already bought one for my living room. Besides, the only reason I bought their TV was because of all those programs that stations provide for free. Sony should realize that those stations are doing them a favour and not rip me off by charging me twice for 2 TVs.

Huh.

Oh, forgot. If you ARE one of those people who have actually written a widget and placed it into freeware, then I am totally mistaken and maybe you should get a free license in appreciation, 'coz you've earned it.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
CanadaRAM said:
I'm a loyal Sony purchaser, by the way, so Sony ought to give me a free TV for my den 'coz I already bought one for my living room. Besides, the only reason I bought their TV was because of all those programs that stations provide for free. Sony should realize that those stations are doing them a favour and not rip me off by charging me twice for 2 TVs.

What is happening with Konfabulator would be more closer to Apple suddenly installing devices in the iPod.

With the new devices, your current iPod would no longer work while you were in your vehicle. Something with the radio triggers it to shut off. But dont worry - Apple has released the iPod Vehicle Addition, one that will work in your vehicle - but only in your vehicle. Being away from the radio triggers it to shut off.

So now, you have to buy two iPods - one for around the house, jogging, and wherever. And another one for your car. Same iPod, but you now have to buy two to use it somewhere else.

Furthermore, those who purchased liscences BEFORE the windows version came out (or was even though of) were told their money went for a liscence to use Konfabulator - not the Mac version of Konfabulator, not one and only one Konfabulator - but Konfabulator.

Should the original liscence they purchased be changed after they purchased it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.