KOTOR app on MBP 15"

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by andrew90, Aug 5, 2011.

1. andrew90 macrumors newbie

I recently bought a MacBook Pro 15" i7 base model (Intel 3000 integrated graphics) because I was told at an apple store that there really isn't anything that I'd need the bigger graphics card for...even gaming/photoshop. Well, I'm looking at getting Star Wars: KOTOR from the app store. I realize that it says that integrated graphics cards are not supported. Can anyone confirm that KOTOR will NOT run on my mac? Thanks!

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

There isn't a 15" i7 model that doesn't have both integrated and dedicated graphics.

3. andrew90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel dumb. I guess I just didn't see it in my system specs. It's the AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory on 2.0GHz configuration, right?

4. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

That will run KOTOR easy, the game is very old now and even the most basic of modern GPUs can run it at full settings.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

I believe on those models it's possible to switch between the two GPU options depending on what your doing as the integrated Intel GPU will use less battery power and generate less heat. For games the discrete Radeon GPU is of course better and KOTOR should run just fine.

6. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

KOTOR runs fine on my 2011 13" with the 3000HD, but beware that when choosing 'complex shaders' in graphics options it goes haywire - the Lion drivers SUCK.

Stick to the default and it runs fine. Great game.

7. MrGoldfish, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

MrGoldfish macrumors newbie

Have anyone tried playing it on the 2010 MBP 13"? I know it says in the app store that its not supported (to my dismay!) but perhaps someone has tried anyway and gotten it to work...? :D
    I have the GF 9400M, 2,26GHz dual core and Lion installed.

8. DSPalpatine macrumors member

KOTOR runs just fine on my Macbook 5,2 with the Nvidia 9400m integrated graphics card. I believe the comment about the integrated graphics was related to earlier chip sets such as the Intel X3100 and previous (I have to dig up the link, but this was a discussion when KOTOR originally came to the App Store). You should be fine.