Kotor

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BrownManUPS, Jul 30, 2011.

1. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I just played KOTOR from the Mac App Store on my 13'' 2011 Air w/ i5. If you turn the graphic quality to the lowest setting, it runs very smoothly and has a great framerate. The fan will kick into high gear after a few minutes of play, but it settles down after a while. The thin notebook form factor results in you actually feeling the keyboard heat.

But what was most fascinating is that after about 2 hours of gameplay, I stopped playing and literally 5 minutes later the machine was a comfortable temperature and the fan was barely noticeable (but on, I think).

So, if you are hesitant on gaming on this machine, I can tell you that this one can handle some load. I wouldn't recommend playing anything heavier unless you don't mind cheap graphics. I think I will get SWTOR when it comes out because I'm a huge fan of BioWare games, but I don't expect to play it too hard core.

2. BrownManUPS thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

So one thing I have noticed is that when the MacBook gets very very hot (after about 10-20 minutes of play), the heatsink under the "w" key gets very hot. As a result, it actually stings to keep your finger held down on it for too long.

3. da3dl3us macrumors member

Yeah, while playing HL2, I noticed the wasd keys get really hot. That because the cpu is right under there. Oh well.