KRACK fix for non-iOS11 devices?

pika2000

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Apple will patch the KRACK vulnerability with iOS 11.1, but what about those with devices that cannot be updated to iOS11? :(

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Apple will patch the KRACK vulnerability with iOS 11.1, but what about those with devices that cannot be updated to iOS11? :(
LOL!

Apple's answer will be to tell you to update.

If you have a device that cannot run the latest firmware, Apple's answer will be to sell you a device that can.

Apple isn't interested in any firmware other than the current one and in their eyes if you are vulnerable it will be your fault because you didn't update/upgrade.

Reactions: Applejuiced

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They might release it for most recently dropped devices that can't be updated to iOS 11. We'll have to see how it goes.
[doublepost=1508649908][/doublepost]
LOL!

Apple's answer will be to tell you to update.

If you have a device that cannot run the latest firmware, Apple's answer will be to sell you a device that can.

Apple isn't interested in any firmware other than the current one and in their eyes if you are vulnerable it will be your fault because you didn't update/upgrade.
Although it doesn't seem likely, there was a release in the past for some devices that don't support the latest iOS to address an issue that was deemed important enough (can't recall if it was a security serificate to make sure everything remained in working order or something else).

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
While there still could be a lot of people using a 5 or lower device, Apple has dropped all support for 32bit devices completely.

There’s been enough generations of 64bit devices now that, anyone can easily move to a bare minimum 5s (64bit device) and in many cases can be done for pretty much free.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
While there still could be a lot of people using a 5 or lower device, Apple has dropped all support for 32bit devices completely.

There’s been enough generations of 64bit devices now that, anyone can easily move to a bare minimum 5s (64bit device) and in many cases can be done for pretty much free.
While iOS 11 isn't supported on those devices, given enough of a serious (generally security related) type of issue there's a possibility at least some of the more recent devices that were dropped might get a one-off type of patch (given that it has happened before, although only once as I recall). Chances are pretty low for that, but perhaps not entirely nonexistent.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes I'm trying to remember what iOS version it was a major exploit that they patched a while ago.
And they went back and updated the iOS version to include older and abandoned iPhone devices too.

[doublepost=1508649908][/doublepost]
Although it doesn't seem likely, there was a release in the past for some devices that don't support the latest iOS to address an issue that was deemed important enough (can't recall if it was a security serificate to make sure everything remained in working order or something else).

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Wasn't really a security issue. It was about money.

Apple broke FaceTime in ios6 on purpose by not renewing a security certificate. Apple wanted users to update to iOS 7 because FaceTime in ios6 was costing Apple too much money (Akamai server fees and virnetx patent lawsuit).

This left iPod touch users with a device that can't get iOS 7 and a device that can't FaceTime. So Apple released a special iOS 6 update.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3165398/ios/lawsuit-claims-apple-broke-facetime-to-force-ios-6-users-to-upgrade.html

https://9to5mac.com/2013/11/14/apple-releases-ios-7-0-4-with-bug-fixes-improvements-facetime-fix/

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wasn't really a security issue. It was about money.

Apple broke FaceTime in ios6 on purpose by not renewing a security certificate. Apple wanted users to update to iOS 7 because FaceTime in ios6 was costing Apple too much money (Akamai server fees and virnetx patent lawsuit).

This left iPod touch users with a device that can't get iOS 7 and a device that can't FaceTime. So Apple released a special iOS 6 update.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3165398/ios/lawsuit-claims-apple-broke-facetime-to-force-ios-6-users-to-upgrade.html

https://9to5mac.com/2013/11/14/apple-releases-ios-7-0-4-with-bug-fixes-improvements-facetime-fix/
Seems like iOS 6.1.6 was released even later and included iPhone 3GS to address a security issue.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-security-update-fixes-ios-vulnerability/

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, that's what I had in mind.
They never really fixed the FaceTime issues with older devices so that wasn't it.
When I contacted Apple they just told me I should upgrade my sons iPod touch to something newer and that I had got plenty of years of use out of it.
Thanks for nothing Apple:D everything worked fine till they messed up on their end and disabled a useful feature on older hardware.

Seems like iOS 6.1.6 was released even later and included iPhone 3GS to address a security issue.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-security-update-fixes-ios-vulnerability/