Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kroger-owned grocery store chain Harris Teeter this week announced it now accepts Apple Pay and other contactless payment methods at all of its over 250 locations in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and a few other states.

Apple-Pay-Feature.jpg

Apple Pay also started rolling out at some actual Kroger locations in Kentucky and Ohio earlier this month, as the company finally embraces NFC technology. Kroger was one of the largest Apple Pay holdouts in the U.S. since the service launched in 2014, alongside Walmart and The Home Depot, but it now accepts Apple Pay at some or all Kroger, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, QFC, King Soopers, and Harris Teeter locations across the country.

Apple Pay allows customers to tap to pay with an iPhone or Apple Watch at checkout, providing a convenient and secure payment method. Alongside Apple Pay, Kroger continues to offer its own service called Kroger Pay, which requires customers to scan a QR code at checkout to pay with a debit or credit card stored in the Kroger app.

Article Link: Kroger-Owned Grocery Store Chain Harris Teeter Begins Accepting Apple Pay

About time.

Now, there is just Home Depot, Lowes, HEB, Walmart, Menards, Paper Source, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Winco Foods, Graybar, Fleet Farm, and about 2/3 of the Kroger owned stores before the US reaches 95%+ acceptance.
Agreed! Walmart needs it desperately. Not sure what's taking so long for them. Let’s not forget Sam’s club.

Last edited:

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
About time.

Now, there is just Home Depot, Lowes, HEB, Walmart, Menards, Paper Source, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Winco Foods, Graybar, Fleet Farm, and about 2/3 of the Kroger owned stores before the US reaches 95%+ acceptance.
I think Apple Pay is accepted anywhere that tap-to-pay is accepted. It's high time that all major retailers accept tap-to-pay. It's like no longer new technology!

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Agreed! Walmart needs it desperately. Not sure what's taking so long for them.
Walmart really wants you to use their apps which uses QR codes to talk to the terminal. They likely have negotiated favorable rates on the payment processors for transactions coming through their app and they don’t want you using some other system if they can help it. Direct credit card payments are grandfathered in, otherwise they’d probably oppose that too. This is probably why a lot of the big chains are resistant to NFC and ApplePay.

The other reason is that they get no data on the shopper from ApplePay and they want that data for tracking and promotions. With their app, they know everything.

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
I bet it came down to money.

Apple Pay is (more) secure, it takes a lot of things to go wrong to be able to use it maliciously.

Versus a card where someone can steal it, say no, and run as credit at so many places

I bet their credit card processor is pushing back on lower security payment methods and turning off a higher security one is not how to do business.

At some point even the biggest companies need full payment processing support. Even Walmart will get pushed on if it's good business. I wouldn't bet against a favored rate renewal being contingent on supporting modern payment methods with two-factor security.

The payment processors all know how much fraud costs them at the big stores and is likely making the rounds on this topic.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Apple Pay is (more) secure, it takes a lot of things to go wrong to be able to use it maliciously.

Versus a card where someone can steal it, say no, and run as credit at so many places

I bet their credit card processor is pushing back on lower security payment methods and turning off a higher security one is not how to do business.

At some point even the biggest companies need full payment processing support. Even Walmart will get pushed on if it's good business. I wouldn't bet against a favored rate renewal being contingent on supporting modern payment methods with two-factor security.

The payment processors all know how much fraud costs them at the big stores and is likely making the rounds on this topic.
This is why I absolutely don't understand why the US shun Chip and PIN so badly. It could nearly obliterate fraud except for the idiots *Cough*LJS*Cough* who still don't take the chip. At least give us a choice to enable or disable with some perk for enabling

mhurron

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018

Just like Walmart, Kroger and their associated brands have a KrogerPay app to get their hands on that sweet, sweet data of yours. It also didn't require new terminals because like the Walmart app it used a QR code.

I can't see how that app was working out for them, this looks more like they caved and bought new terminals. I bet their own payment app gets deprecated sometime in the future.

If card processors were pushing for this, it would have happened a lot sooner. When the holdouts are either small businesses that aren't going to upgrade until they are forced to replace their terminal or large businesses that have been trying to push their own payment apps, it doesn't look like their getting pushed very hard.

I still get reactions of surprise when I use my watch to pay for things at merchants, and I still have to wonder when I go somewhere I don't shop at frequently if they support it. It's just not that widespread in parts of the US. It was nice visiting Canada where basically everything everywhere supported contactless.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Doesn't every debit card checkout terminal have a contactless payment pad on the top or side in the US? Or are there stores that don't even offer debit card payment??

Over here in the Netherlands I even pay at a vending machine or a street vendor with my iPhone. Heck, I've even seen churches in France where you can pay for candles with your phone!

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I believe that iOS 17.0 will allow third parties to access the NFC functionality of the iPhone without needing Apple Pay. That could open the door for Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Walmart and even WinCo to accept NFC payments using a specific app not tied to Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.