Kudos to Apple Customer Service

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DefCon65, Mar 11, 2011.

1. DefCon65 macrumors newbie

Posted this in another thread but thought it deserved a new one considering Apple's handling of the matter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A week ago Thursday I ordered a new 17" MBP to replace my MB that died last week. I didn't absolutely have to have it right away but I do need it this week. It was a stock config and showing "in-Stock". The order page said receive between March 8 and March 11 so I went ahead and ordered. That was the third. Got a shipment notification from Apple on the 4th saying it had shipped and I would receive it March 9. All good so far.

Monday when I checked the tracking, I see that it shipped from Shanghai, China. OK, I'm in Canada and I would think when the online Canadian store shows them "in stock" that they would actually be in stock in the Canadian store, not in a warehouse or factory in China. Not a big deal though as long as I got it this week. That certainly ain't gonna happen though as this machine is becoming a world traveller. It went from Shanghai, China to Osaka, Japan to Anchorage, Alaska to Louisville, Kentucky to Buffalo, NY and now sits in Mount Hope, Ontario. I work in the transportation industry and the fact that it went from Buffalo to Mt Hope means it is on a truck. I live at the extreme east cost of Canada and it will take 4-5 days from there to here via truck which means mid next week. UPS tracking was showing delivery by end of business March 15 when it was in Louisville but now shows nothing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Called Apple yesterday afternoon and spoke to a rep. He checked the tracking and couldn't believe the stops the thing had made. He offered me a $100 refund and extended the return window in case I wanted to return it. He also told me he would see what he could do about the shipment but couldn't make any promises. I don't know if he did anything or it was just a stroke of luck, but my new MBP showed up at the door today. So I got it in time after all and for $100 less. It made eight stops (three more since yesterday) along the way but made it here in perfect condition.

2. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Great to hear it worked out for you!

I'm in a similar situation. I also live in Canada. Manitoba to be a little more exact. Ordered mine on the morning of the 9th, and similar to you, I don't absolutely NEED it right now, I can get by, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed for getting here relatively soon.

I imagine I'm going to see the same thing as you. Being transferred all over the country side till it gets to me. Whilst I understand this isn't really in Apple's control and it's a shipping thing, I'm still surprised at the ridiculous journey a package must take to reach its destination. Especially like it did in your case.

The UPS app on my iPhone tells me it's "In Transit on Time" and received its "Export Scan" in Shanghai at 9:00 P.M. today.

I can also imagine there will be a bit of a delay because of the earthquake in Japan. Unless shipping will somehow just "skip over" the stop in Osaka that seems to have happened for most everyone else.