Kudos to apple for 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fernandez21, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Fernandez21, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I just wanted to give props to apple on iOS 4.2.1, it has been the best experience for me thus far since I got my 3G on launch at 2.0. My iPhone 4 now feels so fast and buttery smooth, no lag what so ever, and the 3G I gave to my son also seems to be back to normal now and feels faster than at 3.0! There is no lag when typing, only when you switch from abc to 123. Now I'm not a fanboy or even that big of an apple fan, but they really did a good job with this release, on my phones at least.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

There are two improvements I particularly enjoy on my iPhone 4:
    1. The screen turns on faster when the phone is awakened from sleep.
    2. When using the multitasking interface, the delay between touching an icon and the app launching is gone.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Mine as well feels much smoother. When using the home button, opening & closing apps, etc.
    It just has a better feel about it over all.

4. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

5. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

6. Maziar macrumors 6502

4.2.1 has been perfect in terms of performance and speed on both my iPad and iPhone 4 :) Loving it :D

7. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

The update has been very good on both my iP4 and iPad, but it was a bigger boost for the iPad by far!

8. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Did any of you experience any problems when upgrading? I'm scared to lose any info, data, apps, etc.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

4.2.1 has much better wifi connectivity. Haven't seen the problem under 4.1 where after sleeping (on occasion) it lost internet connectivity.

10. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Sync your phone before updating. IF anything should happen you can always do a restore and all your info will be there.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

A good idea under any circumstances!
    I'd also add that you should Sync again AFTER you have successfully updated.
    I've had no problems with the 4.2.1 update, not with the process of updating nor with the update itself.

12. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

When I upgraded to 4.0 when it came out, I lost all my contacts. Ever since then I have been scared to upgrade my iPhone software and now I have mobile me. I feel like you cant trust apple with their updates, there's always so many bugs.

13. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

+1

Haven't noticed that until you pointed it out, but AWESOME to know! :D

14. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It's amazing what the Placebo affect can do to people.

15. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

16. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

After upgrading my iP4 to 4.2 all is perfect except two things.

Now when I hold down on the screen to shake the apps for deletion or changing the location there is a delay. When I click on an x to delete an icon or move an icon there is the same delay. Finally when I click the home button to exit the edit mode the same delay is there. It's very noticeable.

The Find my iPhone app is truly frikkin' awesome. However, each time I launch it, the first launch crashes *AFTER I enter my password and click GO. Second launch gets me in.

17. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I'd say you're right if I had not compared my phone on 4.2 against my girlfriend's running 4.1. But in this case I'd have to say you're wrong.

18. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I see no affect at all in snappiness when upgrading if anything it got a bit slower.

19. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Love airplay, I have two airport expresses and an ATV2. I also love the text search in pages and free find my iPhone. Although find my iPhone might be a little buggy with my apple ID at the moment.

This was a great update.

20. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Updated my iPhone 4, my antique iPhone 3G and my iPad in the very minute when iOS 4.2.1 was launched out on Monday @ 7:15 p.m. CET. The download time for iPh4 was a bit long (2.5 hours, there occurred an error with interrupted download but was resumed easily), I had the "empty iPod" bug on two machines (easy to fix: another sync) and there are missing characters in the German-language keyboard layout.

All together I needed four hours but I could do other things during the automatic update routines.

But everything else is okili dokili. The list of security improvements is really long. Love AirPrint (iPhone 4 and iPad with a little Mac hack) and all the new and appreciated features on iPad of course. Will buy Apple TV soon for AirPlay.

21. foiden macrumors 6502a

4.2.1 has literally transformed my iPad. It's almost as if I traded my iPad for a new revision or something. This was a bit of time coming, but worth the wait. Juggling iWork projects and web browsing, without ever losing your spot, is way way more productive.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's because the apps in folders actually move up to show if there is any room left. Apple obviously needs to tweak it so the delay is gone.

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I was thinking the same thing. :p