Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to launch a high-end iPhone without a Lightning connector in the second half of 2021, according to a new prediction from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The device will supposedly offer a "completely wireless experience," suggesting that Apple is not switching to USB-C, but rather dropping the port entirely.

kuo-iphone-2020-2021-800x460.jpg

An excerpt from Kuo's research note with TF International Securities, obtained by MacRumors:
Apple will create more differentiation between the highest-end and high- end models. It will benefit the shipment of the highest-end model and iPhone ASP. Among new 2H21 iPhone models, we expect that the highest-end model would cancel the [Lightning] port and provide the completely wireless experience.
Earlier in 2021, Kuo expects Apple will launch a so-called "iPhone SE 2 Plus" with a full-screen design but no Face ID, resulting in only a small notch. Instead, Touch ID will be built into the power button, according to Kuo:
Apple will launch the iPhone SE2 Plus in 1H21. We predict that the display size will be 5.5 or 6.1-inch. This model will adopt a full-screen design. The notch area will be smaller because of no Face ID support. The Touch ID will be integrated with the power button, which is located on the side.
A report from JPMorgan analysts earlier this week said that Apple will be moving toward a biannual iPhone release cycle to help smooth out sales. Coupled with Kuo's report, it does look like Apple may be moving towards a trend of lower-end iPhones each spring and higher-end iPhones each fall.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple to Launch 'Completely Wireless' iPhone Without Lightning Connector and 'iPhone SE 2 Plus' With Touch ID Power Button in 2021

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Progress. A micro-USB-C plug would be nice.

Add 5G, well......

And for the ones who bitch that they need to spend more money, unification of standards is a very good idea, regardless.

Reactions: Hazmat401

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I think this is a good line up but I have assumed that the notch would have been shaved a little bit before its eliminated.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Is this about USB-C or a portless iPhone?

Edit: Just saw the update so it’s about portless.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think this is a good line up but I have assumed that the notch would have been shaved a little bit before its eliminated.
It'll probably go or be reduced significantly on the new 'pro' models, while the basic model(s) will look largely the same as now?

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Some 90s guy made this in PowerPoint. And on topic, let lightning die. Long live usb-c or preferably tb3
This isn't about what type of port; it's about no-port. Wireless charging and connectivity only.

Instead of charging from just a plug and cable, you charge from a plug, cable and charging mat to your "wireless" phone. (And you need to use about 20% to 25% more electricity to provide the same amount of charging, too.)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Cant charge my phone in the car while i drive anymore and can’t connect my phone to my dsp in the truck with a dac(headless system). Only way would be to connect with Bluetooth. Sounds pretty horrible to me. Why would they ever take away a real charging port and music output. I will be super mad if they do. Usb c sure thats fine but I like having my digital out to my car stereo. Wireless charging in the car? Ehh too slow and I assume most people that like music don’t use bluetooth. Scratch that most people use Bluetooth cause they don’t care about quality much And it’s easy

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Getting rid of the lightning port eliminates another potential point for water intrusion so I see this as a good thing. I already do all my charging via wireless chargers. The only thing that is going to cause me a problem is that I need to be able to plug my iPhone in to my car for CarPlay. I am hoping there will be some way short of buying a new car that will allow me to wirelessly connect to CarPlay.

I really think going to a bi-annual iPhone refresh cycle with new lower end phones earlier in the year makes a lot of sense.

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
Everyone is screaming for USB-C on an iPhone.

Apple is leap frogging that with no cable connection - period.

Obviously wireless charging would need to be included.

Other than that ... the only time I "connect" my iPhone is for backups. Even then I could do it wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.