Kuo: Apple to Launch Several Macs With Arm-Based Processors in 2021, USB4 Support Coming to Macs in 2022

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to launch several Mac notebooks and desktop computers with its own custom designed Arm-based processors in 2021, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today in a research note obtained by MacRumors.

Kuo believes that Arm-based processors will significantly enhance the competitive advantage of the Mac lineup, allow Apple to refresh its Mac models without relying on Intel's processor roadmap, reduce processor costs by 40 to 60 percent, and provide Macs with more hardware differentiation from Windows PCs.

Earlier this month, Kuo said Apple's first Mac notebooks with Arm-based processors will launch in the fourth quarter of 2020 or the first quarter of 2021.

Kuo expects ASMedia Technology to become the exclusive supplier of USB controllers for Arm-based Macs, adding that the Taiwanese integrated circuit designer will benefit from Macs gaining support for USB4 in 2022.

USB4 converges the Thunderbolt and USB protocols as part of Intel's goal to make Thunderbolt available on a royalty-free basis, which should result in wider and cheaper availability of Thunderbolt accessories like docks and eGPUs.

As USB4 is based on Thunderbolt 3, it offers data transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps, which is twice as fast as the bandwidth of the latest USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 specification. USB4's underlying Thunderbolt 3 protocol also means the specification supports up to two 4K displays or one 5K display over a single cable.

The simplest way to view USB4 is as Thunderbolt 3, but royalty free for manufacturers. Intel will continue to offer Thunderbolt 3 on a standalone basis with a few advantages over USB4, including more support with reference designs and technical issues for manufacturers.

The new USB4 specification was published in September 2019, giving Apple plenty of time to implement it in time for 2022 Macs.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple to Launch Several Macs With Arm-Based Processors in 2021, USB4 Support Coming to Macs in 2022

terandle

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Really interested to see what the plan is with the Mac Pro. I don't see Apple 1) Making a high end server CPU or 2) Splitting the mac ecosystem into both ARM and x86.

They must think there will be 3rd party processors they can buy eventually for the Mac Pro from someone?

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
OK. We all know how the POWERPC IBM G5 Processor era went.
People need a way of running windows on a Mac
its fine for apple to reduce its costs on processors but I really doubt people will spend all that money to buy new software
Windows 10 is it. there will not be a windows 11. And companies rely heavily on the windows eco system and backwards compatibility

By the way. the shape of the economy has a lot to do with what people spend their money on

their were 3.3 Million people that lost their jobs so far today

They are not gonna spend money on ARM Processor Macs with no jobs or income
especially when robots and automation are taking the place of humans.
the future could look like a MAD MAX movie. No one knows.
We have to make wise choices on the environment and not handing too much human responsibility to machines

I like intel and AMD
fixing and upgrading my own computer
like fixing and repairing my own car.

USB 4 I am sure will be available on the X86 platform. No need to go ARM just for that other than Battery life

AMD better than Intel anyway

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Really interested to see what the plan is with the Mac Pro. I don't see Apple 1) Making a high end server CPU or 2) Splitting the mac ecosystem into both ARM and x86.

They must think there will be 3rd party processors they can buy eventually for the Mac Pro from someone?
There are vendors making 80+ core ARM based processors - TODAY.

Apple can scale ARM up as required, other people are already doing it.

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
OK. We all know how the POWERPC IBM G5 Processor era went.
People need a way of running windows on a Mac
This isn't as much of an issue as you may think now.

Why?
Things are going cloud/web based
Also, Microsoft is porting their apps to everything, iOS, Android, Mac, Linux even.

The need to run Windows is nowhere near as bad as it was in the days of powerpc.

Also, don't be surprised if something akin to Rosetta comes along again to assist with the transition.

dwaite

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Why is USB4 delayed until 2022? There aren't a lot of thunderbolt 3 controllers they could leverage in Macs if they are moving away from Intel except new USB4 designs.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
Docker runs on ARM, and ARM CPUs can also support virtualisation.
Sure, but nobody cares about virualizing ARM. People run VMware and Parallels so that they can virtualize x86 operating systems and environments. Same for Docker. People use Docker to consume and produce x86 docker images. A move to ARM is the death blow for most cloud-based devops tasks on macOS.

dapa0s

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Well, I guess I‘ll just rent an iMac Pro for a year and just buy the arm macs when they come out. Thanks, Kuo!

Reactions: jonnysods

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Sure, but nobody cares about virualizing ARM. People run VMware and Parallels so that they can virtualize x86 operating systems and environments. Same for Docker. People use Docker to consume and produce x86 docker images. A move to ARM is the death blow for most cloud-based devops tasks on macOS.
Sure.

Some do. I do myself.

But 99.999% of the mac user base do not, and for those who do, that is much better done on a DESKTOP.

You should maybe tell Amazon how they're doing it wrong with their AWS deployment of ARM.

mzs.112000

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015

They don't have to create a server CPU, there are already 64 core and 80 core ARM CPU's for servers.

And TBH, Apple could probably do a multi-CPU setup with several A-Series processors. A hypothetical A14X could have 10 cores(for iPad Pro), an still generate the same heat as A12X, so you could have 4 of them, or 40 cores. and still be under 45W TDP. A Mac Pro could go to 80 cores and end up with 90W TDP

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
But 99.999% of the mac user base do not, and for those who do, that is much better done on a DESKTOP.
An oft-cited statistic, for sure. Well researched. This news doesn't indicate it only applies to portables, and people up-thread are certainly not making that assumption. Even if the leading edge is MacBooks, I can see the writing on the wall. Apple no longer care about me or people like me as customers. Once I'm forced off macOS, there's not much reason to stick with watchOS or iOS either. My vendor-lock in depends on the monoculture. If I have to cut a door in this walled garden it all falls apart.

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
They don't have to create a server CPU, there are already 64 core and 80 core ARM CPU's for servers.

And TBH, Apple could probably do a multi-CPU setup with several A-Series processors. A hypothetical A14X could have 10 cores(for iPad Pro), an still generate the same heat as A12X, so you could have 4 of them, or 40 cores. and still be under 45W TDP. A Mac Pro could go to 80 cores and end up with 90W TDP
More tellingly, they could fit 240 cores in under 300 watts, which would be entirely feasible for a high end Mac Pro that has multi-threading friendly workloads to crunch through.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
More tellingly, they could fit 240 cores in under 300 watts, which would be entirely feasible for a high end Mac Pro that has multi-threading friendly workloads to crunch through.
Crossbar bus on that bad boy would itself probably burn as much power as the cores :)

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
An oft-cited statistic, for sure. Well researched. This news doesn't indicate it only applies to portables, and people up-thread are certainly not making that assumption. Even if the leading edge is MacBooks, I can see the writing on the wall. Apple no longer care about me or people like me as customers. Once I'm forced off macOS, there's not much reason to stick with watchOS or iOS either. My vendor-lock in depends on the monoculture. If I have to cut a door in this walled garden it all falls apart.
You have a choice mate.

Either get on board the train or get off.

It's been clear for the past decade that virtualizing servers and stuff on your local machine is a dying practice. Spin up a VM or lab in AWS/Azure and administer it from your thin/light notebook with great battery life.

Or don't, and buy a linux lapotp from System76.
- - Post merged: - -

Crossbar bus on that bad boy would itself probably burn as much power as the cores :)
So still less than an intel xeon 9282 then :D

(presumably they'd be down-clocked to workstation/server friendly clocks which would cut power consumption and heat a lot for not a huge drop in clock speed, as power/heat scales exponentially with clock. also server/workstation get the highest quality silicon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.