Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Well, that’s a massive improvement. I can’t wait for the new Siri, though it will be a bummer that some features will be locked to the 16’s
I expect pretty much every single post iPhones 16 upgrade for Siri to be limited to iPhones 16 and newer, AI assisted or not.

Apple will add a new “Language Co-Processor” chip and position it as being required for AI features.

Brilliant opportunity to have us upgrade to iPhones 16 in a time where advances to the SoC are slowing more and more each year.

All our other Apple devices will probably also have to be upgraded to newer models with the new chip to get access to AI assisted Siri.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The microphone is not the problem, it even sucks in a quiet room. Since it mostly runs Google searches, “this is what I found on the web for…”, Siri is probably also part of the $18B per year deal with Google.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Ed and TMax

airwalk331

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I hope they use this to make Siri smarter across devices. I live in a small apartment and one thing that’s always sucked is that, whenever I ask Siri to skip a song or something related to audio that’s playing it doesn’t know which device I’m asking- my iPad Pro will reply but audio is coming from my iPhone and vice versa. Shouldn’t they know which device I’m talking to if they’re all near each other and in the same WiFi?

I should at least be able to say “Siri, do this on my iPad”.

It’s so frustrating!

Last edited:

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
I hope they use this to make Siri smarter access devices. I live in a small apartment and one thing that’s always sucked is that, whenever I ask Siri to skip a song or something related to audio that’s playing it doesn’t know which device I’m asking- my iPad Pro will reply but audio is coming from my iPhone and vice versa. Shouldn’t they know which device I’m talking to if they’re all near each other and in the same WiFi?

It’s so frustrating!
- Hey Siri, go uninstall yourself!
- I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Reactions: airwalk331 and TMax

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
Apple needs to seriously step up its AI game as the competition is making groundbreaking innovations literally every month. Just yesterday Google's Gemini was made available and it's nothing short of mind-blowing:

• Wow
Reactions: System603 and TMax

displayblock

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2014
I think the bigger part of the problem is what happens _after_ your input is processed.

The accuracy of the input processing at least in my case is decent most of times (although admittedly I don't often find myself in noisy environments).
Me: Set the heat to 68.

Siri: Sorry, I can’t help with that.

Me: Set the thermostat to 68.

Siri: Ok, heating to 68.

philipmv

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Siri’s been trash since launch, but they’re waiting until generative AI to upgrade the mic to improve the experience? Why not sooner?

iPhones and most smartphones use MEMS technology for the mics. Apple better come up with something compelling like a unique chip invention and new mic technology rather than just say it’s “2x or 5x the MEMS than last year’s iPhone!”

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Keyboard dictation has always heard me with over 90% accuracy, and recently close to 100%.

So I know Siri can hear me exactly right since iPhone 4. That has never been the problem.

The problem is that Siri hears me, but turns the words into something else, or doesn't do what it hears me say.

Improving the hardware will not fix the problem. That's like the cliche of blaming the racket when you lose a tennis game.

"HERE IS WHAT I FOUND ON THE WEB!!!"

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
But in typical Apple fashion, they will invent some hardware improvement, so that they can link the all new Siri exclusively to the iPhone 16 series. Smart.

That's what will probably happen, and call it Siri 2.0 or some bs like that. I'm still hoping they just improve the Siri backend using state of the art AI to do tasks not the 2012 tech it has. Right now the Homepod it's pretty useless beyond easy stuff like setting a timer (and even then it still manages to miss occasionally).

Reactions: hagar

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
so the microphones need to be improved for Siri?? They were good enough for humans in voice and video calls?
hmmm

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Looks like another sign that advanced Siri will be limited to the 16 lineup. It should be quite an upgrade from the 15 lineup, especially the 16 Pro with advanced Siri, huge camera upgrades, bigger display, minor redesign, stacked battery tech, improved thermals, 5G Advanced and more.
It’s going to be every iteration of AI Siri limited to the generation of the iPhone.

Quote me in two years.

terrapinjess

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Maybe they need to work on more: just this morning I asked Siri “Siri is it going to rain today.”
The reply was “OK”
Tried again from Apple Watch using the raise to speak thing: same reply “Ok”
Tried again. Same reply.
What it was doing was turning on the rain Background Sounds feature on iPhone. Soooo stupid…

Siri never gets better. It works great for adding things to my grocery list reminder list, saying “Siri take me home” when I need to go home with GPS, and turning lights on and off via the Home app but that’s about it.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Does this actually says that all microphones BEFORE iPhone 16 were low cheap quality and therefore Siri always mistakes commands?

These mics are bought for 0.015 cents and sold to use for 30 dollars.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Apple plans a significant upgrade to the iPhone 16 microphone to improve the new AI-enhanced Siri experience, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone-16-Side-Feature.jpg

Writing in his latest Medium post, Kuo says that "strengthening Siri's hardware and software features and specifications is the key to promoting AI-generated content," adding that Apple's generative AI ambitions and integration of large-language models (LLMs) into Siri will heavily rely on improved voice input processing.

To that end, Apple is preparing a major microphone upgrade for the iPhone 16, with better signal-to-noise ratio a key specification that will "improve the Siri experience significantly," says Kuo. The new microphone will also have better water resistance.

The upgrade corroborates other reports suggesting Apple plans to make enhanced Siri features a key selling point of the iPhone 16. New Siri features powered by LLMs are expected in iOS 18, and Kuo's report notes that Apple reorganized its Siri team in the third quarter of this year to integrate generative AI and LLMs. However, Kuo's predictions also add weight to rumors that additional on-device AI features could remain exclusive to the iPhone 16 models.

According to the analyst's latest survey, AAC and Goertek are the microphone suppliers for the iPhone 16, and will benefit equally from the specification upgrade. "The ASP of microphones for each iPhone 16 will be at least 100–150% higher than that of the iPhone 15," says Kuo. "As a result, AAC's and Goertek's revenues and earnings are expected to benefit significantly from this upgrade."

Article Link: Kuo: Apple Upgrading iPhone 16 Microphone to Boost Siri AI Experience
Considering I just drive 40 mins with Siri telling me “I can’t answer that while you’re in the car” when I asked for specific music through CarPlay, I’d say the microphone is the least of Siri’s issues.
It’s always baffled me how Alexa is leaps and bounds more fluid, accurate and a much better experience overall. A complete overhaul is about 9 years overdue.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Have you all tried Siri recently?

I was surprised that it actually nailed some pretty tough questions. One was about how a new type of motor worked and another was the history of horse racing. It gave comprehensive answers each time. This was while driving down the road in CarPlay. It didn’t once say it couldn’t help or that I had to wait to see it on the iPhone. It ends by saying where it found its source, “from Wikipedia.”

Try it if it’s been a while. It’s actually pretty competitive now.

This was using an iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 17.1.2 wirelessly Carplaying to a 2024 Mazda CX-90 PHEV and in a T-Mobile 5G area (on Mint mobile).

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I think the bigger part of the problem is what happens _after_ your input is processed.

The accuracy of the input processing at least in my case is decent most of times (although admittedly I don't often find myself in noisy environments).
agree. siri fails constantly, but the transcription of what it heard was always correct, meaning it wasn't an issue with the mic.

but i can't wait for apple to attempt* fixing basic siri bugs and paywall it behind requiring brand new hardware. "sorry only an A18 pro can reliably turn your lights on and off."

*attempt because it'll probably still be broken. autocorrect has only gotten worse for me since ios 17's "improvements." i recently texted someone 'Parking is free' and it autocorrected to 'Peking is free" because THAT is the more likely thing someone would text. :rolleyes:

ApAx

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
United States
I hope they use this to make Siri smarter across devices. I live in a small apartment and one thing that’s always sucked is that, whenever I ask Siri to skip a song or something related to audio that’s playing it doesn’t know which device I’m asking- my iPad Pro will reply but audio is coming from my iPhone and vice versa. Shouldn’t they know which device I’m talking to if they’re all near each other and in the same WiFi?

It’s so frustrating!
I have submitted this feedback to Apple many times over the years. When I use "Hey Siri" or more recently just "Siri" voice command, instead of iPhone mere inches away, HomePod on the other side of the house tries to process the request and I have no idea what it said.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
JFC Apple its not the microphone that needs fixing... 🙄
(That said, better hardware is always a plus!)
Apple isn't saying this. Ming Chi Kuo is saying this because the only leads he has concerning Apple rumors is supply chain. He has zero knowledge of AI or Apple's plans.

Reactions: Shifts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.