Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is likely to launch its Vision Pro headset outside the United States before WWDC 2024, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today reports.

Apple-Vision-Pro-Dual-Loop-Band-Teal-Feature-2.jpg

In a new post on Medium, Kuo said that Apple plans to share new details about visionOS with developers from around the globe at its 2024 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). To make this push toward global developers worthwhile, Apple needs to make the Vision Pro available in non-U.S. markets before the event. Making the headset available internationally before WWDC would apparently enable Apple to promote a "global development ecosystem" for visionOS.

Kuo explained that Apple's reasoning for keeping sales of the Vision Pro exclusive to the United States at first is due to limited supply, a wish to ensure that the sales process goes smoothly before expanding it, and to provide time to modify its software to be suitable for other countries. Once these issues have been resolved, Kuo believes the Vision Pro will go on sale in more countries.

Apple has hosted WWDC in early June every year since 2007, so it is highly likely to fall at the same time again this year. Earlier this month, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that the launch of Vision Pro in other countries around the world will not "actually be that much later" than its release in the United States. Apple is said to be considering the United Kingdom, Canada, and China as the next markets to receive the product.

It is not clear how much supply will be available in the rest of the world by the time the Vision Pro goes on sale outside the United States. With only 80,000 units expected to be available upon launch in the U.S., the headset is expected to sell out quickly and thereafter be subject to long shipping delays.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple Vision Pro to Launch Internationally Before WWDC 2024

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SFjohn and u+ive

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
Can’t wait to get this! Imagine watching your favorite sporting event/movie/home video/youtube etc on a 10 foot fully immersive 3 D digital 4K screen. Also being able to keep open 10 monitors for work. Just mindblowing stuff!

Reactions: jmpstar and jeffirl

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Can’t wait to get this! Imagine watching your favorite sporting event/movie/home video/youtube etc on a 10 foot fully immersive 3 D digital 4K screen. Also being able to keep open 10 monitors for work. Just mindblowing stuff!
Sounds good but trust me with the quest 3 you can’t wait to take it off, it’s not the same as using real external monitors, the headsets are cool but over time you don’t want to keep it on.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I would suspect the EU to be last actually. I am surprised the EU has not yet given a warning to Apple for requiring an Apple ID to do anything. I remember the Meta Quest was initially never sold in Germany for a long time because it required a Facebook account to use.
You can create and use separate Apple IDs. The problem with the Meta Quest was that it needed to be tied to a FaceBook account. Meta solved the problem by allowing a separate account for the Quest.

swiftapplefan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2023
Oh wow, didn’t expect that at all! Wonder if it’ll be the classic rumoured UK and Canada, or even other countries (Hoping for Italy 🤞)

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Makes sense. Always good to exercise some caution when introducing a new product category and getting developers lined up with available AVPs timely.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Probably be wise to manage expectations a bit.

No, not possible.

Imagine resting back on a recliner headrest while you have 10 monitors etc open and your virtual keyboard right there. It’s just so amazing. Productivity for remote work will skyrocket.

No and no again.

Here on MacRumours it has been stated that multiple (Mac) monitor setups will not be possible.

Mac and Vision Pro: What You (Likely) Can't Do
Arrange Mac Apps in Virtual Space
Prior to Apple's official unveiling of Vision Pro, many Mac users envisioned an ideal multitasking scenario where it would be possible to break out Mac apps individually in a mixed reality workspace and switch attention between them at a glance. Based on the information available, however, it is not possible to view individual Mac apps in virtual windows alongside one another in Vision Pro's spatial computing environment.

Create Multiple Virtual Displays
Another likely limitation of the first-generation Vision Pro is that it only supports mirroring your Mac's built-in display. In other words, it won't be possible to extend your Mac's screen or recreate a multiple monitor Mac setup in the mixed reality workspace. This could be due to bandwidth limitations (Mac Virtual Display outputs in 4K). On that basis, multiple Mac displays in Vision Pro's spatial computing environment may be something supported in a future version, but don't expect such functionality out of the box.

Unless you are referring to iPad apps… in which case, maybe…
But I see you want to be doing work, so I suspect you mean multiple Mac monitors.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Can’t wait to get this! Imagine watching your favorite sporting event/movie/home video/youtube etc on a 10 foot fully immersive 3 D digital 4K screen.

Conceptually- as evidenced by this VR example- services could pop up to be VR versions of existing sports packages. Position cameras in courtside seats for the effect of being there without having to actually be there...

Furthermore, conceptually, you and a buddy across the country somewhere could BOTH VR-attend a game and sit side by side, even if your actual bods are both quite distant from where the game is being played. If you can have vr-business meetings where people from around the world get the illusion of meeting in a room to sit together, talk business, etc... the same can be done in any other setting too... such as courtside at a big game or concert.

The linked video IS a VR video. You can click & hold on it and then drag it around to look in different directions: up, down, left, right & behind... just like you are there and rotating your head and eyes around to look wherever you want to look. In Vpro, you will just look in whatever direction you want to see what is "there." Want a quick look at the scoreboard? Look up there. Want to see who's sitting over to your far left right now? Look over there.

I foresee this as a desirable service for many who can't actually attend every game and/or can't afford to buy the actual courtside seats at every game (which can get anywhere from a few thousand to more than $40K per game). Imagine NFL-ST-VR, March Madness VR, NBA League Pass VR, MLB-VR, Soccer, NCAA everything, Tennis, Golf, NHL, Olympics, etc... along with all concerts/shows/etc interested in making extra money beyond selling only a single seat to one body. Recall this that just rolled through theaters to further capitalize on a live concert for all those people who were not necessarily able to attend the live show or afford it...

Taylor Swift Inc made a whole lot of money that might not have been able to be made by only offering the live concert on its own. The huge numbers that paid to virtually attend that live concert in a movie theater PPV enjoyed a 2D screen experience. The same could be a 3D Vpro experience creating a deeper illusion like one is actually at the live event in person. Would some of her fans pay extra for that deeper experience? Seems likely.

Now imagine all of the OTHER concerts/shows/plays/events that could opt to do the same. Think PPV Fathom Event-type shows with this added way of experiencing them. Many people would still go for the MAX sensory experience of paying up huge for tickets to the live show. Some will pay for the special event through Fathom and similar. Others may wait for it to eventually be something they can watch via some streaming package or disc on their television. But then there's also this "new" middle ground option that falls short of actually being there but superior to watching on any 2D cinema or tv screen. Will some be willing to pay for that? Seems likely.

Vpro can do this if those who put on such shows/events are interested. And why would they be? Sell a single seat for $5K-$10K (to $40K) to a single real bod or sell that same seat to maybe 3,000 people for $100. Do the math. Does this mean stadiums, etc would be empty because everyone would go VR? Of course not! Being there in person has many added dimensions vs. virtually attending. However, the illusion of seeming to be there should be superior to watching on a flat 2D screen for those who would very obviously pay more than what they pay to watch various things on a 2D screen via packages like NFL-ST and similar.

I see such offerings coming. The extremist pessimists will of course make it sound like this is impossible, will never happen, etc but click the above NBA video and look around at a game in VR. That was shot over FIVE years ago with relatively cheap equipment. It's quite doable as a Vpro service if the various parties are willing... and interested in carving out a new stream of cash for live events above basic television but not quite being there in person: a new tier above basic PPV where people readily spend upwards of $50-$200+ per event. There's plenty of profitable revenue in that in-between, niche market. VR-PPV. VR-Season Passes. VR-Season Shows. Etc.

Does this kill watching a game on television? Of course not. There will still be much desire in several people gathering around a single screen and watching a game together. However, we have all found ourselves in situations in which we are watching something solo. For all the times anyone with Vpro will be watching something solo that offers a Vpro experience to watch the same, this becomes a viable option. Will most people STILL choose to watch on TV? Yes, because free (or cheaper) beats whatever someone will charge for a Vpro stream and/or just personal preference. But will ALL choose TV? No... and that's the niche that could be served a Vpro stream in a profitable win:win way for all parties involved.

Last edited:

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
I would suspect the EU to be last actually. I am surprised the EU has not yet given a warning to Apple for requiring an Apple ID to do anything. I remember the Meta Quest was initially never sold in Germany for a long time because it required a Facebook account to use.
I expect most of the EU countries (and not the "EU" as a sort of blob some people dream everyday) to be the last due to language barriers.
Perhaps Ireland will be among the first after Canada and so on.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Yea, I don't judge for everybody, but I won't buy a 3.5K dollar VR/AR headset which is a first gen product, whether it's available internationally or not. I do think that they eventually should launch it outside the us

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Quest 3 is good enough for me
And probably will be for many too

Case in point, not everyone has $3500 to just throw around all willy nilly for something like this

With this being the pro version, one can only assume that the next version they unveil in the non-pro one will be a good bit cheaper

Reactions: LaterWolf
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.