Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
These will be the next iPhone for Apple, not the initial versions, which will probably be good but clunky, but 3-5 years down the line I see these as becoming essential. The potential for smart overlay of data on nearly all everyday tasks is enormous. As technology improves/permits these will become contact lenses/implants etc.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
AR headset doesn’t sound like something I’d be interested in. Maybe a start, but the only way I’d consider is if they looked like normal glasses. I don’t expect that to happen in 2020. It’s good they are headed in that direction though, clearly the future. Much more so than folding phones.

and I’m of the belief Apple won’t be dishing this out until they look like normal glasses. They are all about design. Last thing they will do is try and force people to put something on their face that doesn’t look normal.

Last edited:

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
AR headset doesn’t sound like something I’d be interested in. Maybe a start, but the only way I’d consider is if they looked like normal glasses. I don’t expect that to happen in 2020. It’s good they are headed in that direction though, clearly the future. Much more so than folding phones.
Nobody's talking about a headset - did you read the article at all? Maybe at least look at the mock photo? Glasses is exactly what's being talked about. Whether you expect it in 2020 or not.

Reactions: Ghost31

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Apple’s biggest issue won’t be battery life, use cases, or how the glasses look. I’d venture to say their biggest issue will be convincing people who don’t wear glasses and have perfectly good vision they should buy and wear these everyday. How do you convince a world of people they should wear glasses?

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
What are the use cases of this hypothetical device for the average consumer? I don’t see anything I’d use them for.
Hm, I can think of lots and lots of use cases: navigation, info bubbles attached to people and places, discreet reading of notifications, emails, translation of foreign-language text (signs, etc.)

Reactions: G5isAlive

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
Apple’s biggest issue won’t be battery life, use cases, or how the glasses look. I’d venture to say their biggest issue will be convincing people who don’t wear glasses and have perfectly good vision they should buy and wear these everyday. How do you convince a world of people they should wear glasses?

Yes, that's definitely an issue. But how is it different from convincing users who have perfectly good desktops and laptops to surf the web on a phone instead? Or convincing people with perfectly good hearing to stick AirPods in their ears for hours on end? The answer is, of course, utility. If there's enough utility in wearing glasses, even people with perfectly good eyes will wear glasses (they already do when they go out in the sun). I've been wearing contacts for 40 years because I hate wearing glasses. But I'd wear glasses in a heartbeat if they streamed notifications, emails, info about the objects and people around me directly to me. If they translated text I see (I visit in-laws in China all the time - but don't speak/read Chinese). If they helped me navigate or showed my fitness stats while hiking on trails (I can't count how many times I tripped because I was looking down on my Apple Watch for the latter).

Reactions: radiologyman

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
What are the use cases of this hypothetical device for the average consumer? I don’t see anything I’d use them for.
I mean, many said the same about Apple Watch and smart watches in general. Many said that tablets would never take off main stream and would be professional use only. People said consumers wouldn't want to pay in stores with their phone. Lots of tech may seem as not relevant to your lifestyle currently, but that doesn't mean it won't take off.

Average consumers have jobs or hobbies. Gaming is an obvious. Interior design and architect is another. Students (especially med, but also many others) could make use of these. General shopping already has tons of AR applications on mobile, and it was estimated that AR shopping was going to explode within the next few years... this could be a catalyst. Like the Apple Watch, you don't just buy it for a singular purpose, like the health features on it, you buy it for everything it can do throughout the day and what it can potentially do down the line.

DaveBerry

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2019
UK, Yorkshire
I can only imagine how many drivers in the UK will be causing accidents with something like this. How often are you followed by somebody on the phone looking at it 70% on the time on the motorway. These are going to give the user false confidence that they are looking at the road. Q lawsuit and hopeful not ambulances.

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
Ohhh Let's Go Apple!!!!!! I like the idea of having my own personal heads-up display while walking in New York City. Good walking directions would be so useful. However, I must admit, outside of this I don't really know what else I'd use it for. Looking forward to seeing how apple will create use cases

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

I remember when the iPod was released and people wondered why anyone would want 1,000 songs in your pocket.

Reactions: G5isAlive

giebe

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Germany
If the glasses would work with the watch only without the need of a phone, that would be great.

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
I’m very excited for this. Hopefully Apple announces the headset along with a batch of other new hardware at an October event later this month!

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Nobody's talking about a headset - did you read the article at all? Maybe at least look at the mock photo? Glasses is exactly what's being talked about. Whether you expect it in 2020 or not.

I did when the article first came out, which showed a different picture. No need to be so hostile, I said if they looked like glasses then I would be interested. Nothing has been released so a mock photo means nothing at this point.
[automerge]1570632929[/automerge]
and I’m of the belief Apple won’t be dishing this out until they look like normal glasses. They are all about design. Last thing they will do is try and force people to put something on their face that doesn’t look normal.

I would agree there, at least I hope so. I just don't know if the tech is ready, but we'll see.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Just like the Apple Watch, this will be an iPhone accessory with customizable bands for at the least the first five years.

I can't help but the think about the main purpose of this device, I mean the Apple Watch has health, the iPhone has apps, what would the Glasses thing be?

You could read signs, build models, recognize landmarks, find objects, assemble IKEA furniture..... just off the top of my head. Can you also imagine some uses? If not you will see.

Reactions: citysnaps

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Will you be able to have "real" corrective glasses with that?

It would then depend on the premium on the glasses (and what they can do, of course).

I wouldn't rule it out. Might make sense as an AR-display while driving.

At least, the glasses could then do their main function even without juice.
Well, at least that is what is to hope ;-)

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
I need this for medical reason (RP + MD). Bet my insurance company will have to be sued to cover it. You know it will start at $6500 with only 2.56GB of storage. The cord to go around your neck will cost an extra.....

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
I would love to see Apple (or a cycling accessory company like Garmin or Wahoo) do an AR-map integration where I would have heads up directions (arrows) displayed as I am riding. An arrow in the distance showing my next turn would be great and especially if I am going at speed in a poorly marked and confused intersection. As I get closer to the turn, the arrow grows in size and follows onto the street I need to turn onto. Throw up some cycling stats (speed, heart rate, cadence) and I would be happier than a pig in poo!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The glasses are ultimately how Apple will move beyond the iPhone which has hit its peak. Our Apple Watches will be at the centre of our digital lives, our most personal devices, capturing data full time and always there at the raise of a wrist for any question or request.

Screen size won't be important for many interactions since essential data can be presented on a smaller Watch screen and UI can happen through conversation like it happens between two people rather than tapping away at a screen.

Three things have to happen for the Watch to replace the iPhone. Condensed processing power in a tiny package, a leap ahead for Siri into a natural conversational user interface and glasses that replace the iPhone's screen for visual interactions.

The first is already happening. The Watch is already more powerful than is needed to run watchOS without delays though more power will be needed to run Glasses from the Watch. On the second, Apple is investing heavily into ML, AI and Siri itself. The final piece, a large screen for contextual visual computing, will come with the glasses. Rather than looking at a screen in our hands, we'll look out into the real world and see information overlaid on objects, people and places. Want to browse through your photos, read through your emails or sit back and watch a video? Look at a blank wall or a table top and that's your large screen, much larger than any iPhone that you could fit in your pocket.

This Watch launch is going to be an absolutely massive shift, as bigger or bigger than what the iPhone was for personal computing.

The iPhone isn't going away but it'll lose its role as our primary devices. The computer on our wrists will take over that role. I can see Apple even de-emphasizing the iPhone brand and shifting it to being a smaller iPad that we can fit in a pocket. Not to read too much into Apple removing the iPhone brand from this year's devices, but that could be the beginning of that shift.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.