Kuo forecasting Retina Air in October

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macbook123, Jun 21, 2012.

  1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

    Feb 11, 2006
  2. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

    Mar 24, 2010
    Hmmm, so should I wait?!?! Going to phd school this fall.... Thanks.


    Wait - that says Pro. Not Air.
  3. KylePowers macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2011
    Yeah that article is regarding a 13in retina MBP.

    And yes, there has been at least 1 front-page article regarding this rumor.
  4. dietcokemac macrumors member

    Sep 4, 2009
    this deals with the MBP, I would guess the MBA won't be getting a retina display this year. Maybe next?
  5. brentsg macrumors 68040

    Oct 15, 2008
    They will need to grow the battery capacity to add the retina display. They grew the 15" battery by about 22.5% to accomodate.

    That's going to be tough with the Air.
  6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Feb 11, 2006
    Unless they use IGZO technology (rumor has it they're in with Sharp).
  7. joekun macrumors regular

    Mar 10, 2005
    I think rumors of retina airs are wishful thinking for at least 2 years. Apple has made a new class of notebooks to carry this new display, I don't see them quickly moving to add it to macs that cost $1000 less. At that point their new MBP line will be much less compelling. Of course it will happen, but I think minimum 2 years. 13" Retina MBP this year? Maybe, but it's still going to come with a hefty price premium.
  8. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 6, 2008
    Downtown San Diego
    I feel it will be coming with Haswell if the power reduction and graphic improvements come in tow.

    As far as price bracketing/cannibalization, I don't think Apple takes a hardline approach here. The 13" MBA has had for nearly 2 years a superior screen to the Pro variant. They introduced retina on the iPhone and iPad first with no increase in price. They jumped right ahead to a 15" screen. The yield cost for the 11" will be similar to the iPad and the 13" surely less than the 15" if they had to do it today, a year from now, probably considerably less and perhaps at a point where the margins wouldn't get affected. And they could very well simply split the line like they did with the Pros if this isn't the case and pass the buck onto the consumer. 2 years seems very long considering for the past 3 years in a row they've introduced retina on a different product line. I see the 13" MBP getting retina by the end of the year, then probably fall next year coming to the MBAs once ULV Haswell is released.
  9. Beanoir macrumors 6502a


    Dec 9, 2010
    51 degrees North

  10. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 17, 2006
    Couldn't agree more! It will be a couple of years.
  11. dcorban macrumors 6502a


    Oct 29, 2007
    This thread appears to be full of people with new Airs nodding along with each other's claims of no retina 13" this year. Wishful thinking! Sorry, boys, but it will be here faster than you'd like.

    I just bought the new 13" Air, but I will have no hesitation in buying the retina on day zero, even if it is released the day after my return period expires.
  12. GBlansten macrumors regular


    Jun 13, 2012
    Thick Ascending Limb
    I just got a 13" MBA and I'm loving the thin size and low weight of the MBA. The 13" MBP will be good for a lot of people but this isn't my main computer and I'm for the smallest/thinnest 13" ultra book I can find. I do agree that Apple is very likely to come out with a retina 13 this fall.

Share This Page