Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new 12.9-inch mini-LED iPad Pro will enter mass production in the second half of April, according to a new note by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The prediction adds further credence to a Bloomberg report just yesterday that said next month would be the earliest time we should expect the new models to appear.

iPad-Pro-Mini-LED.jpg

In an investors note obtained by MacRumors, Kuo says that mass production for the new iPad Pro with a mini-LED display will now begin in "mid-to-late April."
We expect EMS to start mass production of mini LED iPads beginning mid to late April. The supply bottleneck, TSMT's yield rate, will increase significantly in 2Q21, and overall supply chain shipment momentum will also increase significantly in 2H21.

We have predicted in several previous reports that the mini LED iPad will be mass-produced in 1H21. Although this mass production date is slower than the market’s overly-optimistic expectation of February or March, it will provide a good entry point if the related supply chain stock price corrects.
Over the past few days, there has been widespread chatter about a possible event on March 23, when Apple was said to be to announcing the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a mini-LED display, amongst other products.

Credible sources such as Bloomberg and Ming-Chi Kuo have now both signaled that no launches will take place before April, and as things stand, it looks like there will be no March announcement from Apple either, despite earlier claims by some leakers.

The new 12.9-inch iPad Pro is expected to have "on par" performance with the performance of the M1 Apple Silicon. It's also rumored to include a Thunderbolt port and improved cameras. The device is expected to adopt mini-LED display technology, which offers improved brightness, improved contrast ratios, and color in its larger 12.9-inch iPad model. However, the smaller 11-inch variant is not expected to be updated with the mini-LED display technology anytime soon, according to rumors.

Article Link: Kuo: Mini-LED 12.9-inch iPad Pro to Enter Mass Production in 'Mid-to-Late April'

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Late April would imply a likely June launch, WWDC announcement? If mini LED is going to be their new display tech of choice for the iPad and Mac platforms I guess they will want to talk to developers about it anyway. Was hoping for this month, but sure it will be worth the wait :D

Last edited:

JustinCymbal

Contributor
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I’m planning on getting the new 12.9” iPad

I’m currently using the 2nd iPad Air which came out years ago and definitely would like a larger screen especially since I’ll be using it with the keyboard

The mini LED screen is going to be great as well- Definitely looking forward to getting this next month!

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Late April would imply a likely June launch, WWDC announcement? If mini LED is going to be their new display tech of choice for the iPad and Mac platforms I guess they will want to talk to developers about it anyway. Was hoping for this month, but sure it will be worth the wait :D
It'll be interesting to see if they launch it together with the 14" and 16" Macbook Pros. Or at least I'm hoping to see those Macbooks sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
At this point I’m not trusting any iPad rumours related to this release. It’s clear everyone so far has wrong expectations/insights.
Kuo seems to extract his information from the supply chain, so for something this close in I think he should have some pretty solid information based on preparations for manufacturing to commence?

It'll be interesting to see if they launch it together with the 14" and 16" Macbook Pros. Or at least I'm hoping to see those Macbooks sooner rather than later.
Hopefully, it would certainly be odd to leave the 16" on sale unchanged for a full 2 years. Some recent rumblings to the contrary though. Not sure what to trust now this expected March launch has come to nothing o_O

Reactions: Captain Trips

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
At this point I’m not trusting any iPad rumours related to this release. It’s clear everyone so far has wrong expectations/insights.

What has Kuo wrongly predicted about the iPad this far in advance? He’s the only one with a batting average well over the other ‘analysts’.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68020
Jan 11, 2016
Manchester, United Kingdom
What has Kuo wrongly predicted about the iPad this far in advance? He’s the only one with a batting average well over the other ‘analysts’.
I haven’t said anything in particular about Kuo, I don’t keep track of who has said what. However, there have been rumours for the mini-led iPad Pro for quite a long time and today is the first time we are hearing the mass production will start in April. This suggests launch in the second half of the year which is also something we are hearing about for the first time.

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I haven’t said anything in particular about Kuo, I don’t keep track of who has said what. However, there have been rumours for the mini-led iPad Pro for quite a long time and today is the first time we are hearing the mass production will start in April. This suggests launch in the second half of the year which is also something we are hearing about for the first time.
I find it VERY hard to believe that the mass production will start in April. For such a major product I would expect it to be released at a Spring Event and not WWDC and definitely not a September or October Special Event.

Either way... I’m itching to see this thing.

Reactions: Broadus

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2003
This will be an incredible photo editing device. Since most of my photography has shifted to my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I'm doing most of my editing on my 11" iPad Pro. I'm looking forward to upgrading to the 12.9" especially with mini-LED.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Damn, I was looking forward to new toys this month.

Apple struggled to keep up with demand for all its 2020 products so this is possibly the cause in timetable shift.

Reactions: tranceking26

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
If this gets delayed too much it will fall into the old iPad trap of launching and then being outperformed by the next iPhone a few months later (I expect A15 single core performance to exceed A14X performance).
The A12Z actually benchmarks as fast or faster than the A14 in the iPhone 12 or iPad Air 4. I expect the A14X to technically be much faster than the standard A15.

In the end none of it matters as the vast majority of even iPad Pro users never harness its full power. And with the terrible optimizations in iOS14, honestly my iPad Pro 2020 ran much better on older software and my old iPhone XR ran much smoother on iOS 12 and 13 than my iPhone 12 runs on iOS 14.

I suspect there will be some sort of new software or hybrid device that runs mac OS soon as its kind of becoming a joke how Apple is starting to become the old Microsoft......talking about speeds and feeds when in reality SO many people have 2, 3, 4 year old devices they are totally happy with still. What pushes many to upgrade is that their device has an old degraded battery or the screen thats been cracked for three years.

Last edited:

JLD94

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Texas
So what would be the reason for updating the Pro's to different specs? Will the 12.9 go higher in price? Will the 11 go lower?
Someone mentioned on another thread but why pro and semi pro?

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Gonna wait for the OLED iPad Pro next year. Sure this one will have a few nice upgrades here and there but the 2022 version is going to be amazing from what we hear, that one will be a significant upgrade coming from the 2020. ?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Gonna wait for the OLED iPad Pro next year. Sure this one will have a few nice upgrades here and there but the 2022 version is going to be amazing from what we hear, that one will be a significant upgrade coming from the 2020. ?
Kuo has said only the Air will be OLED and Pros will stick with micro LED (thank god) in 2022.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Kuo has said only the Air will be OLED and Pros will stick with micro LED (thank god) in 2022.

So Apple’s stategy to put that Air over the Pro in screen quality? That’s a little odd tbh. OLED is far superior to mini LED but if we’re talking micro LED that’s another discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.