Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following his report earlier this week indicating that Apple will be accelerating adoption of mini-LED displays in its iPad and Mac notebook lineups thanks to better than expected development from potential secondary supplier Sanan Optoelectronics, analyst Ming-Chi has released a new report today sharing a bit more perspective on the mini-LED display market as it relates to Apple.

iPad-Pro-Mini-LED-Article.jpg

Kuo says that Epistar remains Apple's initial partner for mini-LED chips, but that Sanan and others should be able to quickly join Apple's supply chain as existing patents are not expected to serve as significant barriers to entry. As a result, mini-LED efforts by Apple and its suppliers have effectively moved from the "technology development" stage to the "economies of scale/cost" stage.

While Sanan has seen rapid development of its mini-LED capabilities that could allow it ship large quantities of the chips to Apple in the first half of 2021, Kuo says that Epistar has experienced some yield issues that have led Kuo to reduce his fourth-quarter 2020 display shipment estimates by 50% to between 300,000 and 400,000.

Kuo has said that Apple has at least six iPad and Mac products with mini-LED displays in its pipeline for launch by the end of 2021, but he indicates that the initial batch of displays coming through the end of 2020 will be for an iPad Pro.
Apple's mini LED dies will be mass-produced in 4Q20, but due to yield issues related to the production process of display module materials, the 4Q20 display shipments have been revised down by 50% to 300,000-400,000. We believe that the mini LED display in 4Q20 will be used for the new iPad Pro.
Kuo has long predicted that a high-end 12.9-inch iPad Pro would likely be Apple's first mini-LED product.

As indicated in his earlier report, Kuo sees fierce price competition among Apple's mini-LED suppliers in 2021, predicting that Apple's costs for the mini-LED dies will drop by 50% in 2021 and a further 35% in 2022.

Mini-LED displays, which use on the order of 1,000 to 10,000 individual LEDs, can offer deeper, darker blacks, brighter brights, richer colors, and better contrast compared to traditional LED-based displays, though the technology comes at a significant increase in cost for the time being.

Article Link: Kuo: Mini-LED Displays to Debut in Apple's Next iPad Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: DiamondarBoss

decypher44

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I was hoping for a 14" ARM MBP announcement. However, given that product would be highly eligible for mini-LED I am guessing it may be delayed till next year.
Same. It sounded like we’d see a 14” MBP with mini-led late this year or very early next year. My late-2013 retina is barely hanging on for dear life. Need to upgrade soon!

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Awesome! I’m in for that. I’d guess June/July but hopefully earlier. Some will read tea leaves and cast runes, trying to convince themselves it’ll come later this year or in the Jan-Mar quarter; it never fails lol. But that’s just wishful thinking.

Hopefully no price increase but depending on new features I could easily see a $100 bump. The 2020 iPad Pro added some nice tech while effectively decreasing the price. Very likely Apple’s been eating lower margins to save the price hike for mini-LED. No doubt 5G will also be available at that time.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I was hoping for a 14" ARM MBP announcement. However, given that product would be highly eligible for mini-LED I am guessing it may be delayed till next year.
No chance any time soon imo. The Apple Silicon for that machine (and the 27” iMac and Mac mini) is probably a year away.

ETA: I was thinking of the 16”, duh. Yeah Air and 14” MBP first out of the shoot. Maybe this year, but mini-LED? Doesn’t sound like it... who knows though 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: ingik

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Hello price hike. Now we know why the Air 4 is so close in price to the much better valued iPad Pro.
Many think the Air is the much better value right now.

I’m only interested in the Pro though, even with a $100 bump. My 1st gen 12.9” has a broken screen and low capacity battery but I could never give up four speaker sound. Looking forward to ProMotion too, and FaceID. Don’t really care about rear cameras or LiDAR.

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I have a hunch that here will be a major redesign for iPad Pro
Well there is a progression to better ARM CPUs of course, but this is against improving the HDR ability of the display. Comparably the present IPad Pros are edge lit. I sure would like to see this screen technology in action if it comes out. :cool:

Last edited:

caribbeanblue

macrumors member
May 14, 2020
I have a hunch that here will be a major redesign for iPad Pro
Since there are lot of rumors about an iPad Pro refresh for the 12.9” model ONLY, my guess is that they’ll discontinue the 11” Pro, give the iPad Air ProMotion & 128GB base storage and then offer this new 12.9” one as the only iPad in the lineup that has Face ID, quad stereo speakers, the X variant of the chip and MiniLED (before introducing MiniLED to the rest of the lineup a couple of months later).

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
A bigger iPad would make my wallet itchy. I’d love a 16”+ iPad. Otherwise I can see myself sticking with my 2018 1TB 12.9” a while longer.

Hats off to Apple for the Magic Keyboard, to get such a great accessory a couple of years into a products life still surprises me.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
"We believe that the mini LED display in 4Q20 will be used for the new iPad Pro."
Wait, 2020? i dont think there will be another ipad in 2020....but i hope i will be wrong and KUO is right...

Reactions: BillyiPad95

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I think this can be presented in the Mac event...that would makes sense and would be nice

James Godfrey

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
I can’t imagine this being released until late 2021 tbh, anytime before that will increase current price by at least $200 (maybe more), meaning a baseline iPP 12.9 will be about $1199 as a minimum (not exactly a tempting price tag for anyone with the 2018 or 2020 iPP for a miniLED screen and a new chip).

Also the average lifespan of any iPad is around about 18 months, and the current iPad Pro’s are not even meeting supply and demand numbers still after 6 months.

Coupled with the second waves of the Rona which are sweeping across the world and will continue to do so throughout the winter months will only subject the next iPP to further delays.

James Godfrey

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
It could be an iPad Pro that can also boot into macOS ...
How about that?

Naahh this will never happen, if anything I can imagine the miniLED being presented on a Mac product first then trickle down to iPad... iPad won’t have any other refresh now until mid-late 2021 I don’t think.

If they really had an iPad Pro 12.9 with miniLED and the A14X chip in the pipeline before this years through they would have 100% shown it at the iPad 10 year event last week, then had a release of November or December similar to how they presented the iPhone X to us at that 10 year event.

• Disagree
Reactions: PickUrPoison

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
"We believe that the mini LED display in 4Q20 will be used for the new iPad Pro."
Wait, 2020? i dont think there will be another ipad in 2020....but i hope i will be wrong and KUO is right...
You sorta parsed that quote sans context. The full quote is about the mini LED display panel, not the iPad. The panels are being produced in 4Q20. Those 4th quarter mini LED panels will be used in the new iPad Pro, which will be among the 6 rumored models to be released by the end of 2021.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.