Kurt Vonnegut "Breakfast of Champions" Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Javdogjavdog, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Javdogjavdog macrumors newbie

This if for any Vonnegut experts out there. Why does the picture of the bomb in "Breakfast of Champions" say "Goodbye Blue Monday" on it? I know that it is the subtitle of the book, but what does the drawing mean?

http://www.vonnegut.com/images/art/aug06/01adios.jpg

Any info would be groovy.

Thanks.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here's what I understand to be the source. The slogan "Goodbye Blue Monday" was coined in the 1930s by a company which was trying to develop an automatic clothes washing machine. The washing machine failed, but the company sold some of the technology they'd developed for the washing machine to the government, which used it for bomb detonation mechanisms. Apparently the company held onto the slogan even as it changed over from making washers to bombs. If it's true (and I suppose it is), this would be perfect example of those dark ironies that Vonnegut loved so well.

Of course, you might as well ask yourself why the novel was titled "Breakfast of Champions." ;)

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

...and he had a penis 3 inches long and 5 inches in girth....

4. Javdogjavdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Thank you. I appreciate the response. That story sounds very familiar, actually. I seem to recall now "Blue Monday" was wash day for the American domestic. OK, that makes sense. I was having no luck on Google with this earlier. But since I added "wash day" to the search, I found this:

http://www.5minutesformom.com/1229/org-blue-monday/

The World Wide Web or "Internet" is a great tool.

Cheers.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Doesn't this reference also appear in the book? I don't remember -- it's probably been 30 years since I read it last. In which case, Vonnegut probably made up the washing-machine-to-bomb company story as a device to illustrate his feelings about the essentially amoral qualities of industry, technology and science.

6. foidulus macrumors 6502a

IJ Reilly is right

the company in question is called "Barrytron Limited" and they are also the ones that end up polluting the river, although they try to be environmentally aware....