Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Could I use a KVM to control a Mac and a PC? Or would the keyboard and mouse differences just be a pain in the butt?

Lethal

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Try a USB KVM...I have a switch with 1 OSX Mac, 1 OS 9 Mac, one Dell Craptop, and one BeOS machine, works like a charm.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I assume Windows keyboards would work on OSX, I would advise using the Pro Mouse and KBoard (My friend who useds a AMD 2000+ uses the Pro Keyboard and Mouse with no problems)

Ensign

Grrrant

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Yes!

I use a Dr. Bott KVM MoniSwitch2USB switch for my Mac and PC and it rocks! I share an Apple USB keyboard and Logitech mouse (and monitor) with both computers (beige G3 tower upgraded with USB/OS9.1 and a Pentium3/Win2k) with no problems. Win 2k recognized the keyboard and setup the correct driver automatically. The only gripe I have is really small - there is a 5 second pause when nothing happens when you switch to the mac - otherwise switching back and forth between the computers has been flawless and stable.

http://www.drbott.com/prod/action.l...-response=detail.html&-recordID=33099&-search

The switch starts at $140 (for 2 computers) and comes with good quality USB and video cables to connect both computers to the switch. And it even looks nice!

Good luck!

Grant

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I use a Belkin 4 port KVM switch at work, but only use it to split the video signal, not for using one keyboard/mouse on up to four systems. With that one, I can plug in any combination of Mac and peecee that I need to. I typically have enough keyboards and mice to go around for each system, so I don't have to worry about that.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I use a Belkin 4 port KVM switch at work, but only use it to split the video signal, not for using one keyboard/mouse on up to four systems. With that one, I can plug in any combination of Mac and peecee that I need to. I typically have enough keyboards and mice to go around for each system, so I don't have to worry about that.

Unfortunetly I don't have the desk space at home to deal w/2 sets of KB&M...

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.