KVM for MBP and Mac Pro (DVI and Mini Displayport)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elskeptico, Sep 16, 2011.

1. elskeptico macrumors member

elskeptico

I've got an older (2006) Mac Pro with a DVI out, and a newer Macbook Pro with Mini Displayport out, and I'd like to get them both on my desktop through a KVM switch working with my 23" Cinema Display (aluminum, DVI) and keyboard/mouse. I've searched high and low for a simple recommendation, but cannot find a solid thing that works for this setup.

Here' my (hopefully simple) question: if I get a mini Displayport only KVM switch, then adapt that to DVI for both the display and the Mac Pro, will this work? It's my understanding that the mini Displayport is higher in bandwidth than DVI, and thus would likely cause fewer problems than a DVI KVM switch.

Or should I go with a high-quality DVI KVM switch, and adapt that to mini Displayport for the MBP?

Thanks for any guidance.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I hope I'm understanding you correctly, so pardon me if I misunderstand.

Most of your devices are DVI with the exception of your MBP, so if you were to go with your first suggestion, you'd be going DVI to MDP back to DVI...

Your second suggestion seems to be a better alternative as there are less conversions involved. Not to mention that to go from DVI to MDP, a simple adapter won't do. You'll need a converter, and those will add a considerable cost to your setup.