KVM on a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xyzzy-xyzzy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. xyzzy-xyzzy macrumors member

I have a old ppc mac with a 17" vga monitor (in 1024x768 resolution). I want to continue to use the ppc machine along with my 2010 mac pro. Due to limited office and desk space I would like to share the 17" vga monitor on both my mac pro (which also has a 27" cinema display) and the ppc through a kvm. Here's the idea I'm kicking around in my head utilizing the kvm:
    Code:
                                                         +---+
    ppc machine|<------- vga cable --------------------->|   |
               |<------- usb cable --------------------->|   |<--->usb keyboard
                                                         |kvm|<--->usb mouse
               |<------- usb cable --------------------->|   |<--->17" vga monitor
    mac pro    |<------- MDP to vga cable -------------->|   |
               |                                         +---+
               |<--- MDP monitor cable --------------------------->27" cinema
    To reiterate, I'd like to use the mac pro in a dual monitor arrangement (27" cinema, 17" vga) and the ppc machine using the same 17" vga monitor. The keyboard and mouse would of course be common to both machines. The kvm would switch the 17" monitor between the two machines.

Will this arrangement work? If so can anyone suggest a (cheap) kvm that could handle this?

2. xyzzy-xyzzy thread starter macrumors member

bumping -- hoping someone will respond to this

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I've used many VGA and DVI KVMs before. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work. VGA KVMs are a dime a dozen. Buy one locally so you can return it if it doesn't work well. The only problem I've had with VGA KVMs is that you need to use good cables. Mediocre cables can lead to blurry images. I recommend every single VGA cable in the system be shielded. 1024x768x60Hz is a low enough resolution and rate that you might be okay with crappy cables.

4. xyzzy-xyzzy thread starter macrumors member