KVM suggestions...?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ajsnow6234, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Ok so here's the quick and dirty on my suggestion:

I have my Macbook Pro and my wife has a netbook. We have an office that we'd like to share a desk and use as a docking station. I have been trying to find something compatible for both and easy to use for the wife. Ideally I'd like to reduce the amount of peripheral inputs, but I know there will probably be at least video and usb. The netbook does not have bluetooth, so that is kind of out of the question. Currently, I have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. The desktop that is there, I will be using as a NAS soon... Any suggestions would be awesome...thanks!

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Look in the upper right hand side of the page where it says "search this forum"....enter KVM in the box....there's lots of threads here already.

3. ajsnow6234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks ass, while I appreciate your sarcasm my searching resulted in nothing helpful.

After thinking about it, I think a KVM is probably not what I need at all as there will never be time where both laptops are hooked up simultaneously. I guess what I probably need is just a good universal docking station that will work well with both.

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

You can buy USB based docking stations that work with Mac and Windows and you plug everything (keyboard, mouse, monitor) in to that and they are pretty good

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Responses like that will win you lots of helpful friends here. I was trying to point you to a resource that can be used here to find out if others have already asked and answered that question....you on the other hand had to resort to name-calling.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Please understand, that there's not really enough information to help you. Anything offered would be based on assumptions, not facts.

Such useful information would be:
    • Video output of each computer (resolution)?
    • What size monitor to be shared?

Most KVM switches are either VGA or DVI, and include USB. But not all have the same video outputs (i.e. resolution supported, particularly dual Link DVI is rare, if say you're trying to share a 30" monitor).

As the computer will still be active, it would still connect to to the wireless input devices, assuming you don't have any interferece issues (i.e. multiple devices using the same frequency).

An easy way to see what's out there, is to go on newegg, and take the answers to the above questions in mind to narrow down the choices. Then check the Customer Reviews, as they can clue you in to any issues (or high defect rates) it has before you end up fighting with it, and have to make a return.