KVM switch (?) for 30" display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mike1mike2mike3, Mar 19, 2010.

1. mike1mike2mike3 macrumors newbie

I am looking for a device that allows me to switch back and forth between my PC (which I am bound to for my modeling work) and Mac (which I use for everything else).

I have:
    -a 30" Dell display (3008WFP)
    -MacBook Pro, latest model
    -Dell T3500 with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 dual monitor DP video card

Not sure if it matters, but I actually have 8 similar PCs, each of which I frequently access through RDC from the main PC. I run XP on some, Windows 7 on others of these.

I've never used such a dual-computer, single monitor setup. From doing my homework on google, I think I need a 2 port KVM that will accept up to 2560x1900 resolution, but I'm not sure what other constraints I might have given the details of my setup.

Any advice on specific products would be most welcome. I'm looking for something to do the job reliably, but don't need any extra bells and whistles.

Thanks!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You need a KVM that supports dual-link DVI. They have a few at Newegg.

3. mike1mike2mike3 thread starter macrumors newbie

how about with wireless keyboard and mighty mouse?

Thanks for that link.

One thing occurs as I read about these:

I use an apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse - is there a way to get this to control the PC as well through a KVM?

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

No. The wireless keyboard and mouse operate using bluetooth, so the KVM has no way to switch between the PC and Mac. The KVM needs a wired keyboard and mouse attached.

5. mike1mike2mike3 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Instead of a KVM, you could just use one of the other inputs on the 3008WFP.

Use DVI for the PC and the Displayport for the MBP -- just press the button on the front of the monitor to the correct input.

I did this a long time ago with a Dell 2405 and 2 macs. One connected via VGA the other via DVI. Couple of button clicks and I was done...

7. sorjai macrumors newbie

The only downfall is that you'd need another set of keyboard and mouse, which may be inconvenient if there's little desk space. But if you already have that and don't mind using two sets, then that's not a bad solution either.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020