KVM Switch for Apple LED 27" Cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by m3rob, Oct 10, 2014.

1. m3rob macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2010
    I would like to get a KVM switch that will connect my two 2009 Mac Pros with the Apple 27" Cinema display. Is there a good KVM switch you guys recommend that works with the 27" cinema displays resolution of 2560x1440?

If found this one that seems close, but I don't know how to get my male mini display port from the monitor to connect to the monitor input on this switch...

2. elvisizer, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

elvisizer macrumors 6502

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    well, that's a DVI kvm. you have mini displayport on the cinema display, so you wouldn't want that KVM at all, you'd want one that uses mini displayport.
    Like these

I like atlona's stuff- I use their at-hd620 mini-DP/HDMI switcher.
    I also have the kanex snapx KVM.
    I run a mac mini and a PC into the snapx, the snapx usb out is connected to the USB from the cinema display, and the snapx mini-DP out goes into the atlona hd-620, then out to the cinema display. the atlona's HDMI input goes to another switchbox and ultimately to both a PS3 and xbox 360.

It all works surprisingly well together! The only issue I have is the atlona failing to recognize the PS3's output fairly often- powercycling the switcher fixes that. It does seem to be the ps3's fault, the 360 works fine on the same input and cable.

The snapx works just fine switching between two computers with 2560x1440- it does nothing but pass the signal through, so there's no scaling to worry about. The computers see the cinema display as if they're connected directly to it- speakers and camera in the display work as expected.