KVM switch for Macbook Pro and DVI or VGA PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bhodgson0739, Jun 4, 2012.

1. bhodgson0739 macrumors member

Hi there,

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what I'm looking for here... I hope someone can help. I've tried searching for a few days now, but there just seems to be so many options that I'm still not clear on...

So, I have a Macbook Pro Thunderbolt. I also have a VGA PC. I want a KVM switch that I can hook a Mac keyboard and Wacom USB tablet to... and then hook my PC and my Macbook Pro to the Ins of the KVM... then output that to an Apple Cinema display (assuming this would need to be Mini DisplayPort as I can't find an KVM switch that outputs Thunderbolt). I also want to be able to work with my MacBook Pro in clamshell so I can work off of the Apple Cinema Display.

Is this possible? Whether it's a KVM switch that does it well right from the box or a good KVM switch that I could make this work with some display adapters?

Thank you for any help...

2. joesden macrumors newbie

You cannot mix and match digital and analog video signals and connect them to a KVM Switch. The MAC had a digital connector and your PC has a analog VGA connector. If you wish to get a KVM Switch you will need some converter boxes in addition to that to make this all work. I install KVM Switches all the time and I typically use KVMSwitchTech for all my analog and digital KVM Switch needs.