KVM Switch help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willryan42, Feb 26, 2009.

1. willryan42 macrumors regular

Regrettably, I just bought a ps/2 kvm switch for my macbook. My plan is to connect my macbook and xbox 360 to it, and then share one monitor. So obviously mice and keyboards I do not care about. How can i do this? as of now, the switch doesnt work because it gets power from a ps/2 port that it plugs into. Should i get a usb to ps/2 adapter?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, well as much as I hate returning things purchased online, maybe I'll have to do that.

So even if I get a usb to ps/2 adapter (the usb plugs into my macbook and has a ps/2 female port) and connect the cable that came with the switch (a vga cable with 2 ps/2 plugs) it won't get power? I feel like it should get some power, which would make me think that this is somewhat possible.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It might work, but you'd need 6 USB to PS/2 adapters.

5. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Six?! Why six?

Maybe I explained what I'm trying to do wrong. The only reason I have a kvm switch is to share one vga monitor between my xbox and macbook. My mouse plugs through usb and keyboard obviously is built in, so I'm not even using the ps/2 capabilities on the switch, the only reason I'm concerned about them is because according to the manual, that's how the switch gets power.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Haha, gotcha. Well, the adapter might get the job done there. I guess there's only one way to find out...