Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
So I just purchased a KVM switch so that I could share my monitor, keyboard, mouse and usb devices (switch I bought has 4 usb hub). I have my G5 Power PC & a MBP (2.4 17inch) attached to the KVM switch. The problem I am
having is that my external sound card (M-Box) keeps clipping and pausing when I play music from my MBP. When I switch over to the G5 I
don't have this issue. If I detach the KVM switch and hook the Mbox directly to the MBP I no longer have this issue, so I know it has something to do
with the KVM switch. Anybody have a similar problem?

Seb

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I've had a fair amount of issues with USB based KVM switches, especially low-cost ones like the ones here with USB connectivity. I've also had issues with screen quality with KVM's, period. That would be the main reason for my home office looking like an air traffic control centre. What's the KVM you're using?

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I've had a fair amount of issues with USB based KVM switches, especially low-cost ones like the ones here with USB connectivity. I've also had issues with screen quality with KVM's, period. That would be the main reason for my home office looking like an air traffic control centre. What's the KVM you're using?

I'm using a Switchman, made by Raritan. Here is the exact product:

http://www.kvms.com/nav/item.asp?item=10153

Have you heard anything about it?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
No I don't have any experience with that. I do know the similarly priced Belkin 4-port I had then tossed out has USB switching issues even with just a keyboard and mouse at times.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
No I don't have any experience with that. I do know the similarly priced Belkin 4-port I had then tossed out has USB switching issues even with just a keyboard and mouse at times.

just wierd that its only happening with my MBP and not the G5. thinking it might have something to do with the intell?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Hmmm... Interesting consideration. I only operate Intel systems nowadays and didn't get the issue all the time (but enough to annoy the hell out of me) so I can't say. Tried swapping the connections around to see if it's a KVM Port 1 or 2 issue?

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!
Uhh.. Have you tried connecting your MBP to the KVM via the ports that serve your G5? I mean, lets say MBP is conencted to A, G5 connected to B, swop MBP to B? Perhaps the connectors are faulty?

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Hmmm... Interesting consideration. I only operate Intel systems nowadays and didn't get the issue all the time (but enough to annoy the hell out of me) so I can't say. Tried swapping the connections around to see if it's a KVM Port 1 or 2 issue?

Uhh.. Have you tried connecting your MBP to the KVM via the ports that serve your G5? I mean, lets say MBP is conencted to A, G5 connected to B, swop MBP to B? Perhaps the connectors are faulty?

ya actually tried swapping all 4 ports and have the same issue, definately a problem with the MBP specifically. The only thing I can think of is the intell processor. I've got a call in to the tech dept, we'll see what they say. Thnx anyways :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.