Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WarEagle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Atlanta, Ga
I have a Macbook and I also have a Windows PC. I would like to use my Macbook on my LCD Panel that I also use for my Windows PC. I only need it to switch over the video, not keyboard or mouse. I would like to use DVI since both computers have DVI. The DVI KVM are quite a bit more then the VGA KVM. I only need a 2port as of now, but I am looking to get a Mac desktop in about 6 months so might need a 4port if the price is not bad. Any help with what to look for would be nice. I doesnt have to be a KVM as long as I can switch between my 2 DVI computers.
WDE

rgates2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
Sammamish, WA
I have a Macbook and I also have a Windows PC. I would like to use my Macbook on my LCD Panel that I also use for my Windows PC. I only need it to switch over the video, not keyboard or mouse. I would like to use DVI since both computers have DVI. The DVI KVM are quite a bit more then the VGA KVM. I only need a 2port as of now, but I am looking to get a Mac desktop in about 6 months so might need a 4port if the price is not bad. Any help with what to look for would be nice. I doesnt have to be a KVM as long as I can switch between my 2 DVI computers.
WDE

Hi WarEagle,

I am currently using the Avocent Switchview DVI which is pretty flaky. It is the only 4 port switchbox I've seen that supports 1920x1200 and is under $500.00, but after testing it with the CoreDuo MBP I had, I can say I wouldn't recommend it as it seems to only work with the MBP open.

I bought mine from the following site:

http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/index.html

They have the biggest selection of KVM switchboxes I've seen online, so hopefully that will get you started. I'm curious what you decide on and how well it works for you since I am looking for a better solution when my Core 2 Duo MBP arrives in November.

Good Luck!

Rich

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.