KVM USB? Help me find something...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GFLPraxis, Apr 10, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hi guys, I've got a MacBook and a Sony Vaio desktop. The desktop is aging pretty quick, being a Pentium 4 in the 64-bit dual core age, but it's still my best desktop. I'm still in the process of phasing Macs into my house; all the laptops are Macs, but I haven't had the money to purchase a Mac desktop yet (I will eventually get an iMac).

The MacBook is my primary computer, but sometimes the small screen gets a bit cramped when I'm doing schoolwork (I'm used to 1680x1440 on a much larger area) and my ergonomics aren't the best.

The Vaio is hooked up to a very nice recently-bought Viewsonic 20" monitor. I've hooked the MacBook up to it and it looks gorgeous, but it's a really clunky solution since there isn't room on the desk.

Anyway, I was going to move the Vaio under the desk, leaving a spot for the MacBook on top. But I don't want to be climbing behind the desk to change cables every day. As it is now, I'm using a USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard; I figure I'll have to replace the keyboard, since there isn't a PS/2 port on my MacBook.

Does anyone make a KVM switch with two USB ports and a VGA port (PC doesn't have DVI)? Every KVM switch I find is PS/2.

2. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

That's the same one I have, and I like it a lot.

I use it with a Mac and a PC, as you want to do.

For some of the other ones I've used, the mouse is slow to become active (with this one, the mouse and keyboard are ready to go right away).

Having the cables built in is a nice convenience. The cables also have plastic sliders that help with cable maintenance. I suppose in some settings the 6 foot cables might be a limitation (who wants to deal with extension cables, right?), but in a desktop setup like you have, 6' is more than enough.

I think there is a model without the audio cables, which you might want to consider because you will be plugging and unplugging all the time so that cable might just get in the way if you don't plan on using it.

4. tilman macrumors regular

If you like your PS/2 keyboard, you can keep it by using a PS/2 -> USB adapter. They usually sell for $10 - $15. They look like a short splitter cable, with a single USB plug on one end and a pair of PS/2 connectors on the other end. Of course, for not much more, you can also buy a new USB keyboard...

5. mags631 Guest

Dissatisfied with Belkin Flip

I don't have a recommendation for one to buy. However, I do recommend NOT getting the Belkin Flip (if they still make it). I had it connected to a desktop PC and a PowerMac G5. Both the PowerMac and the PC would sometimes not sense the mouse and/or keyboard after switching. The only fix was to either reboot, or, go unplug the keyboard and mouse and connect it directly. Disappointing to say the least.

6. tilman macrumors regular

One more option is to use Microsoft's Remote Desktop client on the Mac. It's a free download from Microsoft. Then you just open a window on your desktop that remotely shows the Windows desktop. Works well for most things. And you can even copy-and-paste across.

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The primary purpose for having a Windows PC is for gaming and all the old files on it; Parallels works for everything else.

Remote desktop doesn't have the framerate for gaming.