Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While several high-profile smart deadbolt systems such as Lockitron and August have experienced significant delays, Kwikset has been shipping its Kevo Bluetooth deadbolt for some time now, and today the system is receiving a software update to provide new access options for users.

Similar in appearance to other electronic deadbolt locks with a relatively large housing on the inside of the door, the Kevo system allows users to lock and unlock their deadbolts with a simple touch, relying on a Kevo iPhone app or physical fob to determine whether access should be granted. After a simple set-up process, the Kevo deadbolt can determine relative positioning of the device or fob, only granting touch access when the user is outside the door. A standard key can also be used to operate the deadbolt.

kwikset_kevo.jpg
Much of today's upgrade centers around the system's eKeys that allow users to unlock the door using the Kevo smartphone app. The new features include free and unlimited Guest eKeys that can be sent to guests to allow access for 24 hours, as well as a new Scheduled eKey type that allows to restrict the days and times a standard eKey is valid.
From giving a neighbor day-long access to keep an eye on your kids, or letting in a weekend guest who beats you home from a busy day at work, the Guest eKey provides ultimate convenience and flexibility.

The new Scheduled eKey enhances home access control by allowing users to set day and time constraints right from their phones. Ideal for house cleaners, dog walkers, nannies or others that need regular access at pre-determined times, like on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-3 p.m. Kevo owners can schedule these eKeys to be active prior to sending, so they don't have to remember to grant or revoke access to these users in real time.
kevo_guest_scheduled_ekeys.jpg
Guest eKey management (left) and Scheduled eKey setup (right)
Kevo comes with two free Anytime or Scheduled eKeys, and additional ones can be purchased in-app for $1.99 each. The new Guest eKeys are available free of charge without limits.

Kevo is available from Apple, Amazon, and other retailers for approximately $220. The updated Kevo app for iPhone is available now through the App Store [Direct Link], and the app also facilitates a firmware update for the lock itself.

Article Link: Kwikset's Kevo Smart Door Lock Adds Free Guest eKeys, Scheduling for Standard eKeys

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
I can't believe that after the insane amount of money they get for these things, they CHARGE you for each key.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
They still need to connect wifi to this,not just Bluetooth. They need to make so you can lock or unlock your door (same with August) from ANY desktop or smartphone with Internet access.
What if I'm out for a jog,I take my phone and the batter dies?
What if I loose my cellphone?

What if my wife leaves her cell in the house and is locked out? It would be nice to send a signal from another phone to unlock the door. Or go to a neighbors house,use their computer,login and unlock your front door.
Just like my garage door opener. I can open it from any smartphone or PC.

When they accomplish that,I'll be the first to buy one.

ChrisFerri

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
New York
I have one of here and absolutely love it. As far as the ekeys go I got a deal where I got a few for free when I bought it. Ive used 4 and have 3 left. I don't really see why you'd need a ton so I don't think $1.99 is terribly expensive. I was gonna but the lockitron but after my order was delayed for 7 months I decided that the kevo was the way to go.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I have one and mechanically it works pretty well. Software can be a bit finicky, sometimes I have to open the app if I haven't used it in a recent enough time for it to be active in the background.
My biggest gripe with sending people the eKeys is actually that the user has to install the app AND sign up with their email address! That kind of offsets the temporary convenience factor in my opinion.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
They still need to connect wifi to this,not just Bluetooth. They need to make so you can lock or unlock your door (same with August) from ANY desktop or smartphone with Internet access.

What if my wife leaves her cell in the house and is locked out? It would be nice to send a signal from another phone to unlock the door. Or go to a neighbors house,use their computer,login and unlock your front door.

I'm guessing it works like my car, at lease the fob option. As long as I have it in my pocket, I can open/lock/start my car.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I have one and mechanically it works pretty well. Software can be a bit finicky, sometimes I have to open the app if I haven't used it in a recent enough time for it to be active in the background.

My biggest gripe with sending people the eKeys is actually that the user has to install the app AND sign up with their email address! That kind of offsets the temporary convenience factor in my opinion.

Exactly! So if you want to let a plumber in to do work while you're away....you've gotta hope the plumber has a smartphone,ask him to download,install,register? Lol

Like I said,they need to make these connect to wifi so you can unlock your door from your iPhone or PC anywhere! Just like I can with my garage door opener

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Kwikset HAS announced that they will release a bluetooth gateway for the lock, which should allow remote control of it. My biggest concern is if they think charging $1.99 for a virtural key is fair, I can't imagine a cloud service would be free. If that's the case, all mine are going in eBay and I will not recommend them.

This guest key is a start, but still misses the mark. This still requires the arbitrary process of creating an account. Guest keys should simply work without an account. Just download the app and the guest key loads. I think Kwikset is picturing a future where everybody just has an account and you can load keys in and out of it. Yeah, that's not going to happen.

This is what happens when legacy technology companies try and make a stand in the digital world, they can't let go of their superfluous revenue streams. They may have been first, but they will be passed quickly if they continue to charge. I don't blame UniKey, I think they want to do the right thing, but Kwikset has their hands tied.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I'm guessing it works like my car, at lease the fob option. As long as I have it in my pocket, I can open/lock/start my car.

I'm saying it would be nice to let a contractor in from your phone. If these were connected to wifi and you could unlock your front door from your phone would be more practical.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

I imagine this is a fairly regular request they have. And as you point out it can be very useful to lock/unlock from almost anywhere.

But as with everything, once you're on the internet - the security risks rise so much.

This gets me thinking about Apple's HomeKit. There's been talk of having a HomeKit server type device (possibly even a new Apple TV box). That could sit between your home network of devices and the internet. Not just locks like this, but the DVR, washing machine, fridge, lights, oven - whatever. This would act as the security layer between the internet and your devices.

I don't like the idea of all my future connected devices accessing the internet directly. But if they could sit behind something provided by Apple it should help security and allow for all these devices to be controlled by 1 interface.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I imagine this is a fairly regular request they have. And as you point out it can be very useful to lock/unlock from almost anywhere.

But as with everything, once you're on the internet - the security risks rise so much.

This gets me thinking about Apple's HomeKit. There's been talk of having a HomeKit server type device (possibly even a new Apple TV box). That could sit between your home network of devices and the internet. Not just locks like this, but the DVR, washing machine, fridge, lights, oven - whatever. This would act as the security layer between the internet and your devices.

I don't like the idea of all my future connected devices accessing the internet directly. But if they could sit behind something provided by Apple it should help security and allow for all these devices to be controlled by 1 interface.

That's a nice idea, in a wishful thinking sort of way. All these companies, Kwikset, Philips, Chamberlain, Belkin, etc. THEY want to be the middleman and have direct relationship with the customers. And thinking THEY will build a future revenue stream/subscription model with online services. I think it will take several profitless years for them to give up the ghost on that dream and let Apple serve as the go between.

petalino

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Iphone batery life

Considering the Iphone battery life which never lasts a full day without recharging, I can see myself or my houseguest sleeping on the doormat just because there is no way to power up the Iphone to open my darn door.

What a life. I can imagine spending my day running around the city and planning smart use of my smart phone so that I can open the door to my home at nite, before it shuts down due to empty battery. It is ridiculous, really.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

While several high-profile smart deadbolt systems such as Lockitron and August have experienced significant delays, Kwikset has been shipping its Kevo Bluetooth deadbolt for some time now, and today the system is receiving a software update to provide new access options for users.

Similar in appearance to other electronic deadbolt locks with a relatively large housing on the inside of the door, the Kevo system allows users to lock and unlock their deadbolts with a simple touch, relying on a Kevo iPhone app or physical fob to determine whether access should be granted. After a simple set-up process, the Kevo deadbolt can determine relative positioning of the device or fob, only granting touch access when the user is outside the door. A standard key can also be used to operate the deadbolt.

Much of today's upgrade centers around the system's eKeys that allow users to unlock the door using the Kevo smartphone app. The new features include free and unlimited Guest eKeys that can be sent to guests to allow access for 24 hours, as well as a new Scheduled eKey type that allows to restrict the days and times a standard eKey is valid.
ImageGuest eKey management (left) and Scheduled eKey setup (right)
Kevo comes with two free Anytime or Scheduled eKeys, and additional ones can be purchased in-app for $1.99 each. The new Guest eKeys are available free of charge without limits.

Kevo is available from Apple, Amazon, and other retailers for approximately $220. The updated Kevo app for iPhone is available now through the App Store [Direct Link], and the app also facilitates a firmware update for the lock itself.

Article Link: Kwikset's Kevo Smart Door Lock Adds Free Guest eKeys, Scheduling for Standard eKeys

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013

It looks like it still has the traditional key that you can use. Hide it in a fake rock in your backyard.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali

I hear you,I hope it becomes more secure as well. I'd say for the most part the ones buying these new tech gadgets have already considered that.

I have wireless cameras,doorbell/camera,light switches,garage door opener,thermostats....that could all potentially be at risk to security issues. I'm just saying,give us the option. Most of us will weigh the pros and cons.

----------

It looks like it still has the traditional key that you can use. Hide it in a fake rock in your backyard.

That is always the best option! :) I do that now.....it would just be nice to unlock from your phone :)

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
We just have a Schlage keypad version on the front door but I still carry a key for the standard lock on the back door just in case. I love the keypad through. This looks pretty cool though.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Can't most of these issues (What if I leave inside, lose, forget etc) be applied to normal keys as well??

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The time of a cold unlock is even faster with the new 1.1 update. Just installed it yesterday.

Here I demonstrate a few scenarios of how practical kevo is:

http://youtu.be/E4MYDncGc9s

You can buy it on Amazon for $219 (free prime shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ode=as2&tag=evamoo-20&linkId=J5WJFIPQBO3UIIUQ

Thanks for the demo! I’ve been seriously considering one of these for the convenience factor.

Yeah, the backup for this is simply a physical key. I wouldn’t want some kind of internet based access for cases where the electronics didn’t work (or couldn’t be used due to a depleted battery), the security exposure kind of gives me the willies :D

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Exactly,so for 200.00 that's why it would be great if you got locked out (however) you could walk to your neighbors house,use their PC,log in and unlock your front door.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I'm afraid one day Google might buy this company and make me regret my purchase. I already feel burned by my nest and dropcam purchases.:confused:

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I'm afraid one day Google might buy this company and make me regret my purchase. I already feel burned by my nest and dropcam purchases.:confused:

I hear you regarding Google's Nest and Dropcam acquires. I doubt it on them buying Kwikset though, there is too much non-smart hardware baggage like Motorola that wouldn't be worth their effort. That Lockitron company though, I could see them being a target.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Looking at the pic of the lock I wouldn't get the lock. It looks like it has the smartkey rekeying. Which have been prone to failure and easy to get in.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Interesting. I still like the keypad locks better, though. Eliminates the possibility of forgetting your keys/phone. Well, maybe you could forget your code, but that hasn't been a problem. And my Schlage gives me 19 codes for free!

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Kwikset, kwik hack

They still need to connect wifi to this,not just Bluetooth.

Personally I am not going to trust the security of my home with this thing. Wifi is just prone to being hacked quickly, from anywhere, and even with bluetooth that just means that there is already a hack app that you can use to unlock any of these.

I guess it stands to reason if a burglar wants to get in, they will find a way, but I just don't need to spend $300 for something that makes it even that much more convenient for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.