Kyle's Computing

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I wouldn't trust it, theres no contact form that he keeps mentioning, theres no reviews when googling the name, unless you were to go to a b&m store I would stay away.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
It is great to order from small independent places, but only when they deserve it. If they set up a website that looks like that and don't provide even basic contact information then they don't deserve your business.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
I wouldn't trust a website that has only 3 paragraphs of information on the whole site aside from product info.... and one of them mentions the nonexistent contact form

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
Agree with the above. If they put this little effort into the website, what makes you think anything else they do is going to be any good?

EDIT: Chrome moans about some of the security on the checkout pages too (not that I actually bought anything).

HD-Sam

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Their domain was registered 10 days ago, and the contact information has been privatized. I'd stay far away

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Yeah, it makes little sense to trust a site that just got registered and contact info is not available

Idecim8

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
I dont know what to think. I was shopping around for an ipad and this website shows up on the app " googleshopper"

Shows the cheapest prices locally and online for any product u look for, do you guys think this could add to its credability?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Kyle's Computing offers returns for items that are new in box within 30 days, subject to a 15% restocking fee. You are responsible for paying the carrier to return the package. Items that are defective or incorrectly sent can be returned at our expense within 30 days by submitting an RMA request through our contact form
No emaill, no address, no phone number, no contact form.

No business.

Gipper925

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
Had to reply to this since it appears to be the only discussion regarding "Kyle's Computing". :)

The site does indeed appear to be a scam. I went though the order process and noted that although they claim to be using HTTPS, there is no SSL certificate! The order form looks to be a simple credit card harvesting form. I filled it out with bogus info and received a generic response that a rep will process the information. I bet they will, right into their CC database! :mad:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
30 day return policy, provided (a) you actually receive the item you paid for in the first place and (b) they do a better job of including contact information on the invoice than they do on their website. (c) they don't give you a "bait and switch" runaround, when you do try to return it. (d) Would you really want to do business with a place called "Kyle's Computing?"

No thanks. Sometimes it is just worthwhile paying that little extra to do business with an established and reputable company.

desert west

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Regarding Kyle's Computing website

it is a bogus site using a data collection program/process known as PIWIK. the purpose of the site is to collect information, including credit card numbers, from your computer. it appears to be originating from one of the former baltic states and/or russian federation. if you visit the site, be sure to disable cookies. hope this helps. for additional info, email me.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
it is a bogus site using a data collection program/process known as PIWIK. the purpose of the site is to collect information, including credit card numbers, from your computer. it appears to be originating from one of the former baltic states and/or russian federation. if you visit the site, be sure to disable cookies. hope this helps. for additional info, email me.
Good reminder to run Cookie Stumbler, because I did visit the site and didn't disable cookies first. Found a Kyle's Computing cookie and removed it.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Does not look professional under any aspect. If this guy was serious about his business and wanting to make legitimate money, he would have spent some money on creating a professional looking website to begin with. It looks like it has been thrown together in 5 minutes in an attempt to lure some unfortunate individual into giving them their hard earned money only to never see a product.

Jeffersonian

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Western Washington
This is simply an expression of appreciation for this thread.

Kyle's comes in very cheap on Google search for external hard drives, yet is unrated. I haven't found any other site that actually discusses Kyle's, although I admit not putting more than five minutes into the effort.

I'll be spending more for the same item somewhere but Kyle's, with a greater sense of security.

Regards,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.