L '05 2.3 / 2.5 Quad

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rawweb, Dec 11, 2015.

1. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Anyone know if the logic boards of a Late 2005 2.3 GHz and Late 2005 Quad Core 2.5 GHz are identical? Are they the same part?

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

The 2.0/2.3 share the same board, but the one for the quad is different. Since they are all dual core processors, the 2.0/2.3 don't need dual processor slots like the 2003-early05 models.

2.0/2.3 - 1 CPU slot
    Quad - 2 CPU slots

3. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Makes perfect since! I was investigating possibly replacing my quad with one of the air cooled processors and I have no idea why that didn't occur to me.

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

@gavinstubbs09 This really does not pertain to the topic of the thread, but since you are commenting here, when is the next Yosemite/El Cap icon pack coming out? Your site says early December, and I have been waiting for a while and am really anxious for it to come out!

5. JRDN, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015

JRDN macrumors member

JRDN

You can keep the G5 quad board and put in 1 or 2 '05 dual core processor daughter boards.

I've done the opposite and upgraded an air cooled 2.3 dual core with a 2.5 ghz processor card from a quad. The cards are interchangeable.

I see advice everywhere about not aircooling the 2.5 cards. I had my aircooled 2.5 card pass thermal cal. Not sure how well 2 boards would do aircooled.

EDIT: I take that back, the dual core has heatpipes and the heatsink that juts out to the side and not the rear, therefore you'd have to try aircooling the 2.5 cards or use one dual core card. Or, remove the glued heatsink/pipes

6. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I need to start on it! I've actually received emails from viewers of the archive saying that they have icons from El Capitan and would like me to work on the pack.

Anywho, unless I get stuck doing something with the girlfriend tomorrow I'll fire up the G5 and steal icons from my Hackintosh and get on a new pack update. This time with more icons for programs such as Photoshop and Firefox (I use the FF icon to replace TFF's icon but when I download a file the icon gets all jacked up) and make it a bit more complete. I would recommend using the 2D dock on Leopard although it doesn't match Tiger's whatsoever so the appearance isn't true spot on. Maybe if I get a lot of time I can do some Photoshop magic and make a similar dock background!!

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah I saw that too, it bothers me so I quit and reopen the app

8. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I think my 2D Dock is pretty close to the Tiger version, at least it's close enough for my needs.
    Picture 1.JPG

9. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Yeah I got stuck doing girlfriend stuff. But I'll get to it, maybe at work I'll get bored and pull the icons so when I'm home I'll jump on the G5. Owell lol.

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I shoot for perfection, just a bit tough with this so we have to deal with what we have :(