L-shaped power cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by WestofYouLB, Aug 13, 2016.

1. WestofYouLB macrumors member

WestofYouLB

My iPhone 6+ has the standard connector. Looking on the Internet, I can find no other, so I question:

Clearly, the design of the connectors is such that if we use the phone while resting on its bottom edge, it will in fact rest on the most vulnerable part of the cord, just at the stiffening collar as the cord leaves the plug, and for most usage when connected, that is where I tend to rest it. Having no better options.

And that is where they always fail. "bending fatigues copper, absolute bending fatigues copper absolutely," to paraphrase.

I wonder in vain why nobody has developed a power connecting plug that allows the cord to exit the plug sideways so that the phone will rest on the body of the plug, which can be made as robust as the manufacturer wishes. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

3. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

I do. And this is the first one I've ever seen. No online purveyor nor big-box has ever had it that I've seen. Where's it from? Looking at it closely, it isn't an ideal style, too much material outside the actual plug, but it's a start.

And BTW why am I the only person who seems to find this standard configuration ungainly?

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I haven't tried any of these - I just Googled: L iPhone Cable. To get it on Amazon, I have to search for: Belkin 90 iPhone Cable (for 90 degrees)

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Certi...148929&sr=8-1&keywords=Belkin+90+iPhone+Cable

Wow, the reviews are terrible!

The only time I really wanted one was for a tablet in a dock, but I never pursued it (many many years ago).

For my iPhone, when I use it in bed while it's plugged in, I use it in landscape mode (being a 6s+ - most apps work in landscape). So never really thought about it for iPhone. However, most of the time my phone is charging or plugged in, I'm not using it, or I'm using it in portrait mode (Ingress / Pokemon Go).
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2016 ---
    Reviews on this one are much better: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Feet-Angled-Lightning-USBLT2MBR/dp/B00HNX1SLW/ref=pd_sim_107_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=4182R+lEa7L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=K9NK83RN89RB4C6QP08M

5. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure others find it less than ideal as well, they just haven't said much about it. I don't really mind it as I usually don't use my phone while it is plugged in. If I do the most inconvenient part is being tethered to the wall with a maximum range of 3.3-6ft, depending on the cable. I've never had a problem with cables dying from being bent near the plug, probably because I don't use it very much while charging, thereby eliminating the cause of the cable stress.

6. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

I see. I often use a power brick when I'm using my iPhone on my lap, and it needs power. Or if I'm going to be out and I want it to charge while using it so I'll have enough power for being out of the house.

The upshot is, no cord we have ever lasts more than six months. Hence, my crabbiness about the issue. I feel as if I'm renting cables, rather than buying them. And the landlord, he don't want no late rent.