L-shaped USB-C Plug

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by darngooddesign, Jul 19, 2015.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Does anyone make one similar to the MagSafe shape? I lay in bed with the laptop resting on its' side.

[​IMG]

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe try laying on the other side :D

If you search for "angled USB-C connector", or something similar, you will see several possible right-angle connections. They appear more bulky than what you want - and the only examples that I see convert the USB-C to standard USB 2.0 or 3.0 - or something else, like HDMI.
    I think I remember reading that extensions (USB-C male on one end, USB-C female on other end) are not part of the USB-C standard.

3. dyn macrumors 68030

Although the reply is funny it's actually also good advice. Even with an L-shaped adapter/connector there will be some force on the adapter/connector which might damage it or the port.

4. darngooddesign thread starter macrumors G3

I agree, which was why I was hoping for a connector that rested against the computer's body.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The problem is - the connector is significantly different. The L-shape for a magsafe connector is great, but the connector will also pop off easily (which is both good (protects the hardware) and not-so-good (wrong movement unplugs power instantly). Now, the USB-C connecter is not so easy to unplug, making the power connection more secure, but also making the connector or plug significantly easier to damage. The almost-flush connector that you would like to have, would still have that stronger physical connection, without the easy release of the magsafe connector. The possible torque available from that right-angle connector would mean (to me) that you would need to be more careful that you don't accidentally yank the connector from a really bad angle, leaving more potential for damage to either the adapter, or the MacBook.

6. Dayv macrumors 6502

Do you really need it plugged in while in bed at all? There's a battery built in -- it's, like, one of the key features.