L4D (1and 2) any good circa 2011?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by erkanasu, Mar 13, 2011.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

I'm a huge half life fan and recently found out valve also made these left for dead games. I have already played through the entire HL series and want more valve goodness.

Worth $20 for LFD2?

Is it boring? Really? most games bore me.

Are the multiplayer servers still active?
    thanks

-Paul

2. padré macrumors regular

Yes its more then worth it, however there are often discounts (up to 75%) So I would wait a bit longer.

Only buy L4D2, there's gonna be an update in a few months that will bring the maps/characters from the first game to the second one, so there's no real need to buy L4D1, since there's no real story. Although, the gameplay is more simplified in L4D1, and I often still play it because of the small things it doesn't have compared to L4D2.

Just a piece of advice, play this game online, offline its fun too, but not as much. Online, especially with friends, its a blast. I've spent countless hours playing online with some of my pals. On top of that its the best Zombie game out there. The graphics are still very decent and the atmosphere / humor is spot on.

I would pay 20 dollars again should I loose it :p, but once again there's probably gonna be a discount again soon.

-Brun

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yeah, it's worth it. Whilst its true that they're bringing over L4D1's campaigns into the sequel, there is a difference in gameplay between the 2 games. The sequel has more weapons, more enemies, melee cooldown, and a different director (the AI that controls the zombies). It's nowhere near as fast as the first game. Plus they removed Vocalizations from the 2nd game, and they were half the fun :p.

I'd definitely get both ASAP. The next Steam sale will probably be the summer one in July/August. And there's more than enough content and value in these 2 games to justify paying full price.

4. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the input guys, looks like a no brainer

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I actually prefer L4D1 in almost every way.

It has a simplicity and speed that I appreciate. The characters are better IMHO. Also, I can play on a higher difficulty level on L4D1 then I can on L4D2.

They are both similar and worth getting though, especially during a sale that bundles them.

6. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ha ha!

8. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Make sure you look into some of the custom campaigns for both games - some are only available for L4D1 as they haven't been rewritten yet.

10. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If you're really into multiplayer games, L4D 1 and 2 are both well worth 20 bucks. If you just want singleplayer, it's still pretty great, but less so.

I'd recommend waiting for a steam sale. Valve could drop the price on all their games when Portal 2 is released. Maybe.

L4D 1 and 2 are both very quirky and entertaining. The first is more serious than the second though.

11. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

good thing about Valve games is that they continue to update periodically. today Left 4 Dead 2 was updated again with adding DLC (it's called 'cold stream'). it's new map and mission.