LA Computer Company

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rwh63, May 19, 2011.

1. rwh63 macrumors newbie

I'm consdering buying Applecare from them. Anyone shop this company? Feedback?

thx

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've seen many members recommending that shop. Some of them have even bought from them and they have been pleased with the service. Should be a good option for discounted AppleCare.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd recommend them. I've purchased AC twice form them.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. taylortm macrumors member

LA Computer Company has been good to me

I found them some years ago when my newest mac was an iMac G5. That computer had a LOT of problems -- many of which were acknowledged by and "secretly warranted" by Apple. Even though Apple had a "secret warranty" covering the power supply issues that plagued that machine, the guy there (Tom) warned me that Apple was replacing the logic board an extra time or two but that the problem would continue to exist and they would stop replacing it. He offered to sell me AppleCare "at cost" (which was, if I recall, about $70 versus the MSRP of $100). I bought it and was very happy.

He continued to fix the related problems for the term of the AppleCare contract. There were quite a few. I have always liked them since then.

(Word of caution: their prices on "other stuff" (RAM, HDDs, etc.) were NOT GOOD. I assume modern-day internet-savvy folks can suss this out on their own. But I just wanted to point that out.)

I was deeply saddened, recently, when I had a problem with my late-2009 iMac that was beyond my ability to self-cure. I called them to schedule a service appointment and discovered they no longer service Macs. I did a little bit of digging on the internets and found suggestions that they had been stripped of their "Licensed Apple Repair Facility" status by Apple. Maybe it was all the low-cost and insightful help they were offering?

They also seemed to have discounted prices on Macs -- a no-no by Steve Jobs' standards. Maybe Apple "had it out for them." I assume they still do not repair Macs. But I guess they continue to sell Apple products, including AppleCare. Although I don't understand their interest in offering the deep discounts of the past, since they won't likely be getting paid (by Apple) to perform those warranty services.

Bottom line: I bought discounted AppleCare from them a few years ago and was thrilled with the price.

Good luck!

6. rwh63 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. rtheb, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

rtheb macrumors 6502

LA Computer is the only shop I let repair my Macs.

I usually DIY but when it is beyond me I bring it to Danny in their service department and have no fear of lost software or shoddy workmanship.

They even allowed me to ship an led display I had to buy on eBay directly to them for my daughter's old dyeBook.

Simply the Best!

PS: I just spoke with them and they are still repairing "non-warranty" Macs but not warranty Apple Care repairs.