LA Noire, anyone?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by vincenz, May 18, 2011.

1. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Anyone been playing it lately? I'm halfway through the homicide desk and it's been amazing so far. I was doubtful at first about the facial scanning, but it's proven its worth by a mile. First time I've spent retail price on a game in a long time too.

2. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I want to hear peoples' thoughts on this game too...

3. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I like it, although the interrogation parts can be really frustrating

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

5. vincenz thread starter macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh, they really make you think sometimes. A lot of them can be figured out by analyzing the POI's personality, then just reading their faces after their responses. It's not a surefire technique, but it helps.

Also, when in doubt, just choose "Doubt" :cool: (The back of the case does say LA is a place where everyone has something to hide, anyway)

6. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Same, they can be a bit wonky at first. I'm only a couple hours in so far, but overall, it is really awesome. I like the atmosphere in the game, the character animations are amazing, and the overall flow of the game so far is great. Once you get the hang of how it wants you to play (searching clues, interrogations, side jobs, etc), it starts to flow real well. The shooting stuff, much like in GTAIV, is not the best, but thankfully there hasn't been much of that... so far.

Overall, it is a pretty solid game. One thing is for sure, after playing this with the updated game engine and facial animations, I CAN'T WAIT for GTAV!!

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I got the game on Tuesday and I've just finished the second case for the Homicide desk. So far, I love this game! It's everything I hoped it was going to be. I also think it will have good replay value, especially if you don't find all the clues or ask the right questions the first time through.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

9. minik macrumors 65816

I'm tempted to get the game on Amazon.com as it's running a $20 store credit promo. I have seen some gameplay footages on YouTube and looked good to me.

10. vincenz thread starter macrumors 601

vincenz

Finished the story today. Took around 25 hours just for that. There are still a bunch of street crime missions I've yet to do, plus the collectables. I'd say it's only a little shorter than GTA IV. Amazing game overall. The amount of polish on it I've never seen on a video game of this scope. I thought Rockstar outdid themselves last year with Red Dead Redemption, but L.A. Noire really is a masterpiece.

11. Nuck81 macrumors regular

It's a game you really have to take your time with and think things through. When I stopped worrying about progression and started really reading everything in my notes and reviewing evidence before each question I started getting top ratings on all my cases.

It's also a great pick up the game, play for an hour and then move on to something else. Should last a long while....

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just ordered this, should get it later this week. Probably won't have to to play until June though, last exam week starts on Wednesday so that will keep me busy.

13. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I saw a playthrough series of it on YouTube, sadly I don't own any consoles yet so I probably won't be playing it. Really want to though!

14. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Just wanted to clear up that L.A. Noire was NOT made by Rockstar, they only published it. It was made by Team Bondi in Sydney, Australia :D

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Wikipedia says Team Bondi developed it in conjunction with Rockstar. Generally, anything with Rockstar logo in it is great though ;)

16. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It uses the RAGE engine which is the same engine used for GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption, so yes it is a collaborative effort. :)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Love the game but damn is the interrogating frustrating. I'm reading their faces and I still get it wrong...I thought sweet ole noisy granny was telling the truth:mad:!!

Love the game so far but I hate when you set a destination theres no line to follow....so I let my partner drive most of the time.

Bless

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Hit X (on the 360, not sure about PS3) while driving and your partner will give you basic directions to the set destination (left, right, go straight, etc.). I'm glad they didn't put in the travel line as that feels too much like GPS to me.

Lethal

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Agreed, I think having to get directions adds to the 1947 feel of it. If you need better directions there's always the map in the pause menu.

As for the game, I love it! First time I've paid $60 for a game since I bought my PS3 in 2006 and I'm not disappointed.

I really hope they use the 40s LA they designed for the next GTA, or some kind of spin-off where you get to be one of the gangsters from that era (maybe Mickey Cohen, who is mentioned in Noire). I love the atmosphere of the city, everything from the billboards and banners to the radio shows and 'voice-on-the-street' comments you hear.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My pet hate about this game......

They have tried to use the facial technology to create a really immersive experience. They put massive emphasis on the interrogation and communication between yourself and suspects and npc's.

Yet they destroy the whole thing by having that annoying ping / bell sound ring out - reminding you that it is a game and that you have done something wrong.

It jerks you out of the the 'immersion' utterly and makes you want to replay a mission over and over until you get a perfect score - rather than learn from your mistakes and have to solve the 'case' in a more human manner.

Hate that aspect of it.

---

I'm playing the game in Black & White, a proper 'Film Noir' experience. Anyone else going 'Noir' properly ?

21. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I finally beat the game last week. I thought the game was amazing. Doing interrogations and searching for clues was a blast. I also liked the action sequences. The ending was a little odd, but that didn't really take away from how fun the game was.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I thought you could turn all the 'game assist' functions off (music cues, rumble near clues, etc.,).

I played the game in black and white for a while but switched back to color. I enjoy the color palette they used for it. If they went with a more modern color palette I probably would've stuck with B&W.

Lethal

23. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Will be buying this soon, maybe find it a bit cheaper.