labelling each image...question before I take leap to iMac iPhoto

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brianphotoguy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. brianphotoguy macrumors newbie

I am an amateur digital photographer....take 2-3000 images a week.
    Currently my practice is to label each image as it is loaded using Windows XP.
    Each image would look something like this Tokyo111125 072. yearmonthday and Subject and sequence number of that image on the Compact Flash.

I am about to purchase an iMac.

My reading suggests that I can name or label images in iPhoto by batch....
    I assume in this case I would label them Tokyo111125. Is a sequence number automatically added?

Is there a way of labelling each image as I load the image onto my Mac in a similar fashion that I have been doing in Window?

Thanks for your help.

Brian

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

By "labeling", do you mean naming the files? If so, I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger for mass file name changes.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If you are shooting 1/10 as much as you do, then iPhoto is the wrong tool for the job. Get either Aperture 3, or Adobe Lightroom.

My research led me to Aperture 3. IMHO... it is enough reason in itself to switch from a PC to a Mac. I really like the very inexpensive ebooks written by Boyer www.rwboyer.com if you want to see some of the potential.

Attached is a screenshot of the custom input you can do... it is very rich.

/Jim

Attached Files:

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If you are a serious photographer taking a large number of images, as has already been said, iPhoto is not really for you!

Aperture is the obvious tool, as it is specifically designed for organizing and adjusting large numbers of images.

I can highly recommend Video tutorials on this site for Aperture and other Apple Applications.