Labor involved adding 3rd Party RAM to iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WATCHDOG, May 4, 2009.

1. WATCHDOG macrumors member

Now that iMac's appear to work,
    I'm thinking of getting an iMac with 4 GB RAM
    and upgrading to 8 GB via Crucial,
    because I'm not keen on :apple:'s RAM prices...

However,
    A PC techie guy told me that a MAC techie guy told him
    that, when compared with the ease of adding RAM to a PC or Tower Mac,
    it takes an $hr to $hr.5 to add RAM to the iMac.. !!!

Rumor? Fact?

+++

2. junyea macrumors newbie

I hope its a rumor. I would like to add RAM asap, but did not want to deal with the prices from Apple...

I will look up an instructional video on youtube. If I find it, I will post it.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its one (1) screw to undo the RAM door. Pull the tabs and the RAM falls out. Push the new ones in, screw the door back on and you're done.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, the RAM does not take long at all to replace in the iMac. Even most non-tech savvy users wouldn't have a problem replacing the RAM provided they have the right screwdriver.

5. WATCHDOG thread starter macrumors member

How come it takes you an hr to hr and a half to do that? ;)

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It doesn't. Some one is telling porkies to make mo' money.

7. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Yeah that is bs it takes all of about 10 minutes total to put RAM in the iMacs. If you have never upgraded on your own and a bit worried don't be it's very easy - you can even search for a video of installing iMac ram as they are all over the net.

Before you pull the trigger at Crucial I just ordered an 8 GB kit over the w/end myself from OWC - they are just as reputable as Crucial and $300 cheaper right now! Check it out here: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

* Edit to add video showing RAM installation there are a ton of them but this one is just as good as any * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZLe...F9344145&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=40

8. kurosov macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a misinformed pc tech to me, there are many of them.

Upgrading RAM in an iMac is actually easier than doing it on a standard pc.

9. WATCHDOG thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your responses and assistance.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Here's a video from OWC that shows you how to install the RAM in your iMac. It takes less than 1 minute if you've done it before and maybe 5 minutes if you haven't.

11. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Whats the difference between a PC and Mac techie? I thought Macs were personal computers as well?

12. kurosov macrumors 6502a

Most issues with computers tend to be software, not hardware. Is someone is trained in troubleshooting one OS it does not mean they know how to do so with another.

There are hardware differences of course but the OS is what sets it apart.

13. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

A lot of PC lover/Apple hater types love to tell lies or generally do not know the facts themselves and make up anything just to convert you to their hideous PC Gaming/Apple Bashing religion.

Adding RAM to an iMac has always been an easy task.

----------

Tech means both hardware and software. Mac architecture inside the machine is very different from a PC. iMac for example. It would be a maze and you would have to be trained to move around inside it without breaking stuff and repairing neatly. PC is just an open box of wires put in however you want just make sure wires don't hit the fans and your home made bomb is done. lol

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

WTF ????

For my RAM Upgrade here is my procedure .....
    This took me all of 10 minutes, if the coffee had been cooler, and the danish smaller it would have been 9 minutes.

Delete steps 3, 5, and 7 and the time can be cut down to about 4 minutes.

15. sartios macrumors member

I can't believe how much Apple charge for RAM if you aren't tech savvie.

I just brought some Corsair ram for like £12 making a total of 8gb in my iMac, Might go for 12, but 8gb ok for now.

And adding RAM couldn't be easier!

16. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I just installed new ram into my Macbook pro and new iMac the other day. Took all about 10 minutes or less. Very Easy.

17. 7thMac macrumors 6502

The PC tech probably got RAM confused with a HD swap. The latter is not a 5 minute job.

18. Spike88, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Installing new (additional) RAM beside existing factory 2 x 2 GBs RAM is easy. Under 5 minute job. Do keep in mind that many computer shops are like auto repair shops. re: They charge $75 per hour and they have "minimum time charge" as well. For example, the one auto shop in my area charges "minimum" 1 hour. Even to grease 4 x grease fittings while vehicle is on the hoist getting an engine oil change. And, that "even little jobs are charged minimum 1 hour" shop owner wonders why more folks visit the other auto shops in my area instead.

With above in mind, suggest installing the iMac additional memory yourself. Instead of installing 2x2 GBs (total of 8), suggest installing 2 x 4 GBs (from money saved from installing it yourself). Thus, getting total of 12 GBs.

Works for me...

19. ad2435 macrumors member

it is easier to replace ram memory in an imac than it is on a traditional pc.

oh, and you can get 16gb for about $100 so maybe do that and you are set forever.

20. Apple fanboy, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Mac techies don't get much work, where as a PC techie has a job for life trying to get that PC to work reliably. It's easy to switch the components in a PC because that's all you ever have to do. Change the broken hardrive, upgrade the Ram ( because the machine is now running slow) and finally install the old hardrive in a new machine because the owner has had to buy yet another!