Lacie 1TB external thunderbolt running @ lower "Negotiated Link Speed"? (pics)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lip5016, Sep 26, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

Hello. I was looking through my "About This Mac" System Report.. and noticed that my Lacie 1TB external Thunderbolt harddrive is listed as having a "Link Speed" of 6G, while having a "Negotiated Link Speed" of 3G.. The Lacie drive is plugged into an Elgato Thunderbolt dock which then connects to my MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt..

Additionally, I tried ejecting it, and plugging the Lacie drive directly into my MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt port, and still got the same results in "About This Mac"..

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.54.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.54.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.55.02 PM.png

I've read that having a "Negotiated Link Speed" lower than your "Link Speed" means that the drive is not running at optimal levels..

Would anybody be able to give me an idea why my Lacie 1TB Thunderbolt drive is listed as having a "Link Speed" of 6G, while having a "Negotiated Link Speed" of 3G?
    And how I could go about fixing this so that it operates at the full 6G capacity?

Thank you! :D

2. chrfr macrumors 603

That disk is a slow 5400 rpm disk. Its interface is only 3Gb, but the link speed doesn't matter because the disk itself can't even transfer at that speed. If you put a faster disk in that enclosure, then you'd see the faster link speed if that disk supported 6Gb.

3. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

That's incorrect, you could even put a 6G SSD into the enclosure but if the negotiated link speed of that enclosure is 3G it will only run at the lower speed. You have a previous generation interface in that enclosure.

4. chrfr, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

chrfr macrumors 603

No, you have this backwards.
    I have two 2012 Mac Minis here; both support 6Gbps SATA. One has the OEM, slow 5400 rpm disk in it, and it reports:
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    The other Mini has a Samsung SSD in it. It reports:
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 6 Gigabit