Lacie 1tb hard drived died... help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doug.hall, Sep 28, 2007.

1. doug.hall macrumors regular

My 1TB Lacie Hard drive has stopped working.:mad: When I switch it on it makes a few noices and the blue light on the front flashes but that is all. I cannot see it on my mac.

I've contacted Lacie but all they will do is replce my drive with a new one. I don't really care about the drive. It is the data that is important to me. so...

If I puchase a new 1tb drive can I switch the internal drive mechanism to the new enclosure? Other than voiding the warrantly on both drives do I risk making things worse?:confused:

Any help would be appreciated...

2. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

I had a Maxtor Raid 1TB and died to, the raid setup are risky,
    if one of the drives failed you are screwed, if not it could be a solution.
    Stay away from radi setups, instead get smaller drives. (2x500GB)

3. weckart macrumors 68040

You need to be sure what the cause of the failure is before proceeding. As stated, if one of the drives is dead, then so is your data, and you may as well get the replacement drive from LaCie. Otherwise, if the drives are fine, put this down to experience. Stay away from LaCie and give the drives a decent home.

4. doug.hall thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies... I don't have a raid drive it is a single 1TB drive only. Any ideas how I can pinpoint the problem?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Almost certainly, your "single" 1 TB consists of 2x 500 Gb mechanisms internally RAIDed together by the bridge board in the case. If they were just concatenated, thenn you'd have a shot at recovering some of your data. But if they were striped (RAID 0) and one of the drives has failed, then your data is likely 100% toast.

The other possibility is that it is the powersupply of the case which has failed, and the drives are alright.

Even then,, you have a challenge -- if the drives are RAID 0, you cannot just put them into new enclosures and get the data, because the data is scrambled between both mechanisms with the RAID striping. You could perhaps put them into another, identical enclosure and see if they came to life.

However, before doing any of this, you will need approval in writing from LaCie that they allow you to disassemble the drive for data recovery without voiding the warranty.

6. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

How much do you value your data?

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com

The last time I went through them (sending a drive in from work) it cost just shy of $900. That was for a 160GB desktop hard drive. There is no set cost, though, they charge based on the amount of work involved in recovering your data. It's an all or nothing deal as well, you cannot pay less for a specific amount of data, they recover everything they can and charge you for all of it, no exceptions.

7. natronpee macrumors newbie

I'm in the same exact boat on this. My Lacie 1TB Drive won't mount to any computer that I've tried. Inside it contains 4 Seagate 250GB drives and they all work when put into another enclosure. The enclosure that I have, however, will only hold one drive at a time...

The Mac recognizes each of them individually in Disk Utility, but gives the Error Message that the drive cannot be read upon first connecting it to the computer. It seems to think that each drive is a new drive that has not been formatted. The name of the drive does show up when ONE of the drives is connected, but it's grayed out...

Apparently the sled inside of the original enclosure has malfunctioned in some way.

Does anyone know how I could pull the data off of each individual drive or if I could purchase another enclosure that will hold 4 Seagate 250 drives?

I really believe that if I had another one of these exact drives that I could swap the 250 Segates out and it would work, but I need this data ASAP...

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Of course each drive individually comes up with an error, because if they are RAID drives, none of them is individually a viable Mac volume; they can only be read as a set.

As mentioned, if you get the exact same enclosure, and put in the 4 drives, then you have a chance at recovery.