LaCie 1TB USB (Only) Causing Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sean.Perrin, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Sean.Perrin macrumors newbie

So I just purchased a 1TB USB (USB only, no FW, eSATA) LaCie Drive by Neil Poulton as a cheap time machine drive and it is acting up.

When the computer is turned off or goes to sleep, the drive stays awake and will not automatically reconnect when the computer is awakened or restarted. The drive appears but is not accessible. At this point Time Machine tries to reconnect but fails and the only solution seems to be to toggle the drive on and off, or to relaunch the finder (which takes an excessively long time in this circumstance and has resulted in some "forced shutdowns".)

So far I have tried reinstalling the drive as Lacie suggests, and reformatting it with disk utility (with and without OS 9 boot, I thought it might conflict with leopard). However, the same problem exists.

It should be noted that I have never purchased a drive without firewire, so I am reluctantly assuming that USB drives do not have "auto" mode, or that they do not draw enough power to wake properly. If either is the case it is going back to the store because that is useless.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

2. Sean.Perrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Turned on the computer this morning and it said that the drive could not be interpreted by the OS or something. Then my graphics card went on the fritz for about 10 mins while the drive was rediscovered and ejected.

Something must be wrong, I'm taking this thing back.