LaCie 250GB Rugged Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KingFrizzy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. KingFrizzy macrumors newbie

Hello,

Im freaking out at the moment, my LaCie 250GB Rugged Hard Drive is not mounting and there are some errors when I try to repair it inside of Disk Utility. I have all my photos 30 thousand + and im trying to get my portfolio ready for art schools applications. Here is a screenshot of what its saying.

If the image is to small here is a full res link

Here

[​IMG]

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I think an application such as DiskWarrior is more suited to repair this disk, if possible.

3. MCHR macrumors regular

Of course this is in hindsight, but I wouldn't waste my money on anyting made by LaCie.

best of luck to you, though.

4. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Follow disk utility advice and move your data off wipe the drive and try again. Sounds like your HFS volume is corrupt (basically your catalog file is shot). By the fact that the drive can't be repaired it means you have serious format level corruption. Do you always eject the drive before unplugging it?

@MCHR
    Where do you get your information from?

5. mangrove macrumors 6502

Hey, all drives go eventually. You seem sour on LaCie. Why? All of my Lacie's have worked flawlessly for over 4 years.

So what would you get?

6. mangrove macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear of your problem. In the future, might be best to have multiple backups which I've resorted to since before buying Lacie I've had around 15 hard drives go out over the years.

7. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Doesn't look good... you have 30K photos and they are only saved in ONE location? That's a photography 101 NEVER DO. I hope you back them up in at least 2 locations...

8. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

If you have Apple Care, pull out your Apple Care CD and run Tech Tool Deluxe. Worth a shot...

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

FAIL. All physical objects decay. All drives die eventually.

I have a Lacie mini big disk raid that still works great after 5+ years.

10. MCHR macrumors regular

I understand and accept the eventual failure of a physical drive. However, something protecting data needs to be somewhat reliable.

here's my story.

I have a 5 or 6 year old LaCie d2 Quadra 250GB external 800FW. I got it since my last employer universally used LaCie drives for backup. That drive has been reliable and foolproof since the day I unboxed it.

I recently purchased a LaCie drive for my wife's Mac. It bombed out within four months. Customer service was appalling, and while they offered to replace the unit, the way in which the situation was handled put me off from going through with the exchange. I have since hear a large nunmber of people who have noted the drop in LaCie quality (many have lost data, but that's another topic).

Which may be a blessing in disguise, since it caused me to re-think my backup strategy.

I'm now configuring the systems to have an external drive enclosure with two WD drives with Time Machine as well as an NAS running for 'large room' storage.

Yeah, maybe I got one bad egg from LaCie, but I'd not trust them again. Seems they have more attention to the exterior shell than reliability and quality for their internals (or drive selections).

11. KingFrizzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I used my Art Teachers copy of disk warrior, which fixed the issue and now all is well.

Thanks for your help!