Lacie 2big MBR how?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Runnernorth, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Runnernorth macrumors member

Hi, I have a Lacie 2big thunderbolt 8tb hdd, and I would like to use it in windows(through bootcamp) as RAID 0, and therefor I need to partition it to MBR in disk utility, and afterwards to make a dynamic disk in windows, but when I try to choose MBR, under partition in disk utility, I'm not given the choice, I only have the GUID or Apple option, the MBR isn't highlighted, why not?? I've googled almost every page to find an answer, but didn't succeed...:-(

2. LaCieTech macrumors member

Hi,

You don't need to use it as MBR to be in Windows unless you have XP or older installed. If you have Vista or newer then Windows will support a GPT volume scheme. The volume type is for the entire disk, you can't have a mixed MBR and GPT volume setup but luckily there is no reason to try.

If you need more information, please call us at 503-844-4500 or send us a ticket at www.lacie.com/mystuff

~mn, LaCie

3. Runnernorth thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thx for your reply:), just a quick question, do YOU think it's possible to make my 2big thunderbolt work as RAID0 in windows 7/64bit, or just as two independent drives......?
    Kindly

4. LaCieTech macrumors member

hi, if you already have the disks RAIDed from OSX then you can't re-RAID them in Windows. The only thing you can do is set it to a RAID, volume scheme and file system that both OSes are able to detect.

Otherwise yes, if you haven't already set a RAID mode on another OS then the disks can do RAID 0 and 1 in Windows.

~mn, LaCie

5. Runnernorth thread starter macrumors member

Hi, well that's a bit disappointing, though I am glad you told me, then I don't have to bother about it anymore.
    I have a Lacie 2big thunderbolt. 8tb harddrive I can't use as intended, as it was preconfigured in osX as RAID0....
    Damn :-(
    - just hoped there would be a workaround to this.....
    Thank you for participating.
    Kindly