LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series 6TB Review & Custom Specs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rw3, Mar 13, 2012.

1. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

To All,

I've been following the thread by philipma1957 (shortcut3d also deserves some praise) on the Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter and I am really impressed by the thoroughness of what he and shortcut have been able to find out about compatibility, etc.

I am going to try and do the same with the LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series enclosure because I know that there is EXTREME potential with this enclosure consider what I've been able to do with regular old SATA III Mechanical HDDs.

The LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series uses the 1TB platter HDDs from Seagate (Model ST3000DM001 & Specs) and I can truly see why they are using them. They run cool, are stupid fast, and are very quiet consider the performance that they give in an enclosure that is 100% aluminum .

Performance Numbers
    Anandtech did a great REVIEW on these drives and I was actually able to best the numbers that Anandtech found in his review.

Read of File via AJA from the 2big - Avatar Extended 720p - File Size : 4.29GB (Finder Info)

Result - 378.8 MB/s

[​IMG]

Read/Write using AJA - 1920x1080 10bit Video in 4GB size

Results - Reads of 344.9 MB/s & Writes of 332.5 MB/s

[​IMG]

Pictures

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Custom Specs

I will have some Corsair Performance Pro 256GB SSDs on the way to me by the end of the week to put into the sleds and find out if this enclosure will support the full SATA III spec of 6Gbps. If it will, I can see reads being the well into the 800-900 MB/s range and writes on up there as well. If anyone would like to send me drives to review in RAID, please let me know. I have a couple of left over WD Caviar Blacks (WD2001FASS) that I am also going to see how they perform.

Thanks
    Ryan@XM

P.S. If anyone is interested in one of these, either the 4TB or 6TB, I can get a 10% discount on them. Email me. Thanks

2. rw3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rw3

UPDATE

So I worked the overnight on Thursday to get the store ready for the new iPad launch so since I was already up, I drove down to Fry's to wait until 8am for them to open. I purchased 2x Samsung 830 256GB SSDs (both notebook kits) and promptly came home and installed them in the LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series.

Performance Numbers
    So I am disappointed and saddened to announce that the internal SATA connection appears to be limited to SATAII so we will not be seeing anything near the 800-900MB/s range.

Read/Write using AJA - 1920x1080 10bit Video in 4GB size

Results - Reads of 435.9 MB/s & Writes of 357.5 MB/s

[​IMG]

Read of File via AJA from the 2big - Avatar Extended 720p - File Size : 4.29GB (Finder Info)

Result - 442.2 MB/s

[​IMG]

I also threw in a BlackMagic Disk Speed Test just to compare to AJA and the results very similar across the board.

[​IMG]

3. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Maybe with a future firmware update we'll see improvement.

Some PC motherboard use the same sata controller (Marvell 9182 if i'm not mistaken) and with updated BIOS that contained a newer firmware for this controller people are reporting better performance with SSDs.

I got mine this week, I got the 4 TB one and will upgrade to 2 x 4TB in the near future :)