LaCie 2Big vs G-safe raid backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by qveda, Feb 2, 2012.

1. qveda macrumors regular

For use with my MacPro, I'm using a single FW800 ext 1TB drive. thus no redundancy and no off-premises capability. 2 partitions, one is bootable clone of MacOS/apps, the other is for TimeShare.

For convenience (has to be convenient, or I won't do it), I am thinking of a dual drive raid box with swappable drives (LaCie 2Big, G-safe). I could mirror the drives. Then get a 3rd drive which I could rotate in and store in a secure location.

my concern about these products is noise and reliability. I've seen mixed reviews. LaCie in particular seems to get bad marks for quality, e.g. failures, etc

What to you think?

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

LaCie external HDDs have a notoriously bad track record so I would stay away from them. The enclosures themselves and the drives they chose are usually pretty sub-par.

G-tech products on the other hand are very reliable. We have some G-safes, G-RAIDs and other assorted G-tech externals at my work and they've worked perfectly for years.

I currently have an 8 year old G-Drive (with a massive 250GB IDE HDD!) that still runs perfectly apart from being noisy, which is the actual HDD's fault and not G-tech's.

3. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

thanks , your response confirms what I was starting to think . too bad since I like the looks and features of the LaCie , the model with the 2 bays that would allow me to easily swap a mirrored drive for off premises storage of a 3rd drive. if that makes sense