lacie 2TB broke down

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 50L, Jul 12, 2014.

1. 50L macrumors regular

50L

Hi guys,

I didn't proper eject my hard disk before plugging out and now she doesn't work anymore.

when I plug in, it doesn't appear on the screen . when on disk utility I get the message the hard drive is broken and I have to delete all data or put my old data back, but this isnt working, I cannot even reset/erase the disk

2. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Was Disk Utility First Aid helpful?

How about Data Rescue from www.prosofteng.com? Their trial version is free to try.

3. 50L thread starter macrumors regular

50L

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

So use Disk Utility to again partition and reformat the drive and then verify it. After that is done...restore the data from your last Time Machine backup. If you have not been doing regular backups with Time Machine or CCC, now you know why that is a mistake you need to fix now.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

When DiskWarrior reports a hardware failure, that usually means the disk is now useless at all.
    However, sometimes with external drives, it's the enclosure that fails, not the disk itself.
    If your disk is out of warranty, I'd go ahead and open up the enclosure and put the disk in a different one, or inside a Mac Pro if you have access to one, and test the drive again there.
    Note that in general, opening Lacie enclosures voids the warranty.

6. 50L thread starter macrumors regular

50L

I have a device that can read sata drives from laptops, but will i be able to use this device with my own hard drive if I open it up?

I have filed a ticket on the lacie site and will wait for the response if its warranty or not

not possible, I cannot erase the disk and i'm not able to put a back-up back on it due to failure

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The good news is that a replacement mobile or desktop 2TB USB 2 drive is cheap. You can get desktop 3-4TB desktop drives at Costco and Sams in the $100-150 range.

Good on you that you have a backup to restore. So many folks come to the site with no backups available to do a restore.