Lacie 2TB "falls asleep"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ramenaddict, May 1, 2013.

1. ramenaddict macrumors newbie

Hello,

My Lacie 2TB (FW800) has been randomly "falling asleep" on me. At first I thought this was an FCPX problem, but it happens all the time now without any applications even open.

I can see it in Finder under "Devices." But when clicking on it to show contents, I get the pinwheel of death. Sometimes I even have to Relaunch Finder. :mad:

It normally happens after not accessing it for 15min or more, but this isn't consistent Sometimes it'll happen almost immediately after I plug it in and it mounts.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone else know of a fix?

I opened Disk Utility to Verify/Repair the disk and it indicates that there is nothing wrong with the disk. The drive is not partitioned in any custom way.

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Did you install the hard drive yourself, or are those LaCie's? For the latter, looks like you should RMA it.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i have owned many lacie drives over the years. they have never given me issues, but i have had 2 power supplies fail on me. have you checked the power supply? fortunately for me, i currently have 3 external drives so i could swap out the power supply. if not, call lacie support. they are very helpful.

5. LaCieTech macrumors member

Hi,

This sounds like volume corruption to me, but we would want to troubleshoot more to identify the cause. Chance are a repartition from disk utility will solve it but you will lose the data. If you have backups then that shouldn't be an issue. If you need to try and recover the data you will need to either contact a recovery firm or attempt a DIY recovery with an app like Disk Warrior (to repair the corruption) or Data Rescue (to copy the data off).

Before you attempt anything, I'd give us a call. We're at 503-844-4500 (USA) or www.lacie.com/mystuff

~mn, LaCie

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

7. ramenaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks so much for the help! I'll try repartitioning/repairing the disk from Disk Utility to see if that works. I'll have to buy another drive to backup.

Great customer service! Thanks!

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Do you have the Power switch in the full on postition? The Lacie FW800 drives I've used have three postitions On, Off and Auto.