LaCie 4TB 2Big Drive question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oldgeezer, Jan 2, 2013.

1. oldgeezer macrumors member

I just ordered the Thunderbolt version of the LaCie 2 Big drive to use as both a Time Machine drive and additional storage space. I read one user review of the drive that was negative because the user said he could not partition the drive under RAID 1.

It seems to me the solution to this is to partition each of the 2gb drives into 1tb partitions and then pair a partition from one drive with an equal sized partition from the other drive using Apple's Disk Utility. Then one pair of partitions can act as my RAID 1 Time Machine drive and the other pair can be used for additional space.

Has anyone done this or see any reason why it won't work. Looking at the Disk Utility RAID tab it indicates you can create a RAID 1 array using either disks or partitions.:confused:

2. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I would think the LaCie has a hardware RAID controller. OSX should see the RAID pair as a single disk (which would be partitionable.) Maybe the person did not have the LaCie in RAID mode and was, instead, trying to software RAID through OSX?

3. Yeroon macrumors member

Yeroon

I have it running in RAID1 and it's no problem at all. It comes standard in RAID0, but that's easy to change.

[update]
    Ehm... maybe I was too soon to judge, hadn't fully read the part about partioning. Can't think of a reason why you can't (but I haven't).

4. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

The LaCie 2big or even the Little Big Disk, do not use hardware RAID. They simply are configured so that you can use Disk Utility to build a software RAID.

5. photoz macrumors member

Disappointing...

6. GrooveOn macrumors newbie

http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/thunderbolt-pro/formatting