Lacie 4TB Pro USB-c desktop drive for Photo library?

macj3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
east coast, USA
I'm settling in with our new 27" iMac, 1TB SSD, originally I was going to use a SamsungT5 1tb external drive for the photo library (600GB now) using it's lifespan and speed to make Photos run nicely (light PS Elements use) . But the Lacie pro drive is an USB-C enterprise drive with a 5 year warranty. The larger Lacie would get gobs of extra storage for future photos and Videos, Dvd's etc. which would keep the iMac "lean and mean" So....Both are USB-C, the list price is the same...199.00 ....1TB vs 4TB,.....SSD vs Enterprise spinning disc,....3year warranty vs 5 year warranty......any thoughts?

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
riginally I was going to use a SamsungT5 1tb external drive for the photo library (600GB now)
Keeping 20% free space means you would only have 200 GB available for new photos.

SSD vs Enterprise spinning disc,
I spent a fortune on an enterprise drive and it failed. Sticking to consumer drives now.

3year warranty vs 5 year warranty.
Obvious advantage to 5 year. But also consider the fact that storage costs keep dropping. How much are you paying for that extra two years? Replacing the disk at the 3 year mark (at a considerably lower cost) if it fails might make more sense.

macj3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
east coast, USA
Keeping 20% free space means you would only have 200 GB available for new photos.

I was planning on 10% and I realize the value of the free space with the internal for proper performance, but is the free space needed/important on external storage drives?

I spent a fortune on an enterprise drive and it failed. Sticking to consumer drives now.

I've had good luck with external drives. Only one failed and it failed within 6 months.

Obvious advantage to 5 year. But also consider the fact that storage costs keep dropping. How much are you paying for that extra two years? Replacing the disk at the 3 year mark (at a considerably lower cost) if it fails might make more sense.
I thought the 5year would balance/make up for, the life span between the Lacie HD and the SSD. (with an SSD being, in theory a longer life span vs a HD)

My concern would be the "performance", using the SSD vs the HD when keeping the photo library on an external drive and using Photos or PS Elements on the iMac.

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
I was planning on 10% and I realize the value of the free space with the internal for proper performance, but is the free space needed/important on external storage drives?
Generally 20% is a minimum, regardless of location. I ran a provisioning program on a NAS which told me that for best performance I needed to keep 30% free.

I've had good luck with external drives. Only one failed and it failed within 6 months.
Glad you've had good luck. I've lost count of the number of external drives I have had to replace.

(with an SSD being, in theory a longer life span vs a HD)
Not sure if this is true. One web reference says if you do a lot of writes a HD has a longer life:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-last-longer-than-hdd.2961841/