Lacie 500 GB Hard Drive won't mount but lists in Disk Utility -Time Machine error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coolimits, Jul 26, 2009.

1. coolimits macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and hoping for some advice with this hard drive issue.

I opened a brand new Lacie 500 GB Hard Drive. It is connected to my macbook via usb. I selected it as my hard drive destination in Time Machine and ran the backup option. The hard drive did mount. About 5 minutes in the backup option failed - a time machine error: time machine backup failed.

I ejected the drive and unplugged it/turned it off and rebooted my laptop. Now the hard drive does not mount on my desktop however will show in disk utility. It lists with the Lacie name and another subdivision under the name.

When I try disk repair, erase or partition..I always get the same message: resource busy. After the error, the hard drive subdivision disappears leaving only one name on the list in disk utility. (It does not have the name underneath it).

I apologize for my semi technical description. I am new to mac and appreciate any advice on how to fix this issue. All I want to do is backup my laptop using the new hard drive with time machine. If any one knows how to remount the drive I would be very thankful.

2. tokyoshawn macrumors newbie

See my reply to another post on this forum below

It appears the bad news about LaCie 500Gb drives continues to grow...

I recently bought a LaCie 500Gb drive for my iMac. Unfortunately it has MAJOR issues mounting to the Mac OS. I have several other external drives (Iomega, Buffalo, IoData) which have never had any problems. This new LaCie drive NEVER mounts by itself, and it fact the only way to get it to show up in finder is to turn off the computer and disconnect ALL cables (incl. LAN, USB peripherals, etc) to make sure there is no residual power to the motherboard. Then after a few minutes, plug it all back in and turn it on - the drive will show up - BUT there is no guarantee how long it will stay mounted for. Updated software does not help. There are quite alot of forums taking about similar issues with mounting a LaCie disk - so this leads me to advise NEVER buy a LaCie external drive for your iMac.
    This could be the issue why it is taking forever to partition your drive - it has probably unmounted mid-process!!

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

LaCie doesn't make hard drives. Whatever third-party drive they stuck in there is most likely giving you problems, not the enclosure.