Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
lacie_5big_network_2.jpg

>Above is the 6TB 5Big that with SL works just great.

>Going through finder to shared we can see the 5Big just fine, and connect even to the unsecured (no password) folder. See Pic

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-12%20at%2010.49.40%20AM.png

>When trying to connect to the secure folder however, this error is presented.

Screen_Shot_2011-07-12_at_10.50.49_AM.png

>I have been using transmit in the meantime, but that requires files be download to use :(

>Via finder I can run DMG's or whatever straight from the drive.

>Any ideas? The firmware is up to date and Lacie seems to not have a good answer for me after multiple contacts. Thanks.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

>Above is the 6TB 5Big that with SL works just great.

>Going through finder to shared we can see the 5Big just fine, and connect even to the unsecured (no password) folder. See Pic

>When trying to connect to the secure folder however, this error is presented.

>I have been using transmit in the meantime, but that requires files be download to use :(

>Via finder I can run DMG's or whatever straight from the drive.

>Any ideas? The firmware is up to date and Lacie seems to not have a good answer for me after multiple contacts. Thanks.

Is this the same issue where the firewall was the problem?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1131684/

djrbx

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
North Hollywood, CA
This probably has to do with Apple updating and dropping support for the use of afp “DHCAST128″ because it was supposedly insecure. Netatalk 2.2 should be supported with Lion, but until Lacie releases a firmware update, you will have to use Cifs/SMB to connect to you network share.

There is a hack you can try:

To turn on “DHCAST128″ support please do the following on your Mac running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion:

1) Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do:
sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences
Then:
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1
Now Quit from Terminal and restart your computer.

2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file

3) Launch Terminal again and do:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0″ “2-Way Randnum exchange”
Then:
sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

Note: To add a “DHCAST128″ to the disable list, use
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128″

Let me know how it works out for you.

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you rely on the share server as your Time Machine backup, this method will not reenable Time Machine since Time Machine in Lion requires Netatalk (AFP) 2.2 for security reasons. The only way to get Time Machine to work again is to update the firmware once Lacie releases it. This also applies for all other NAS boxes. QNAP, ReadyNAS, etc.

Last edited:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
This probably has to do with Apple updating and dropping support for the use of afp “DHCAST128″ because it was supposedly insecure. Netatalk 2.2 should be supported with Lion, but until Lacie releases a firmware update, you will have to use Cifs/SMB to connect to you network share.

Interesting, and I am also curious why Transmit would connect without issue, unless I'm misinterpreting that part of his problem.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA

There is a hack you can try:

To turn on “DHCAST128″ support please do the following on your Mac running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion:

Then:
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0″ “2-Way Randnum exchange”
Then:

Note: To add a “DHCAST128″ to the disable list, use
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128″

Let me know how it works out for you.

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you rely on the share server as your Time Machine backup, this method will not reenable Time Machine since Time Machine in Lion requires Netatalk (AFP) 2.2 for security reasons. The only way to get Time Machine to work again is to update the firmware once Lacie releases it. This also applies for all other NAS boxes. QNAP, ReadyNAS, etc.

Thanks for the post, I did the steps (no idea what was being done) but to no avail.

Same error connecting via Finder or "Connect to Server."

Hope Lacie or Apple or whoever fixes this soon. We were going to update the computer lab to Lion, but perhaps we will wait a few .xx's.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
This probably has to do with Apple updating and dropping support for the use of afp “DHCAST128″ ...

Well, that info was tremendously helpful for me. I've been trying to get Time Machine to work with a USB external HD attached to a Cisco router running vanilla firmware. I also tried installing ddwrt and upgrading the version of Netatalk, although I think I screwed this up.

I hope a lot of vendors support the new version of AFP, I heard NetGear was imposing some sort of policy that would probably delay this...

djrbx

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
North Hollywood, CA
Transmit connects because you are using an entirely different protocol to connect to the share. In this case, you are using SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol). AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) was the protocol updated by Apple.

The updated AFP in Lion adds more security in terms with connecting to shares. Current NAS boxes do not support this added security which causes the problem you are currently having.

When you did step two, did you try and login to your share or just allow it to connect? I suggest trying it again, copy and paste. But this time in step two, when it asks you for the user name and password, just leave the dialog box open and restart your computer without logging in and go to step 3 once the restart is complete.

Here are the commands again

--
--

Then:
--
--

2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file (DO NOT LOGIN, JUST REBOOT)

--
--

Then:
--
--

Copy the commands in between "--" entirely to terminal and hit enter.

Explanation: You are essentially reenabling the old AFP 2.1 support “DHCAST128″ which Apple disabled in Lion. Thus allowing you to connect you your "legacy share"

Last edited:

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
FTA:
Now in order to stir things up, we’ve released NetAFP Netatalk 2.2.0 to customers only, without pushing to Sourceforge. Sourceforge Netatalk will stay at 2.2-beta4 until we’ve convinced enough OEMs that working with us is in their own interest, until we generate enough revenue to pay our bills.

've read that quote multiple times from different sources and don't fully understand it. Maybe its my failure to understand opensource software policies, maybe due to my misunderstanding of software licensing practices, or some combo of both. But the way I'm reading that is, "We're tired of other people using AFP in their products without contributing to the project, so we're cutting them off and denying them access to the latest revision of our product as an open-source freely-usable protocol." Ie: This can cause delays in the adoption rate of the protocols that Lion requires. Vendors of NAS-related devices won't have access to the newest version of Netatalk and will have to wait.

Last edited:

djrbx

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
North Hollywood, CA
FTA:

I've read that quote multiple times from different sources and don't fully understand it. Maybe its my failure to understand opensource software policies, maybe due to my misunderstanding of software licensing practices, or some combo of both. But the way I'm reading that is, "We're tired of other people using AFP in their products without contributing to the project, so we're cutting them off and denying them access to the latest revision of our product as an open-source freely-usable protocol." Ie: This can cause delays in the adoption rate of the protocols that Lion requires. Vendors of NAS-related devices won't have access to the newest version of Netatalk and will have to wait.

As much as I hate to admit it, you are 100% correct. At the end of the day, it comes down to money. They hold future releases to people who pony up the doe and leave everyone else waiting for the official release. This is mainly due to the licensing costs of using AFP through Apple vs other means, in this case Netatalk. Companies like to go this route to cut costs when producing products.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Great. So unless some company decides AFP is worth their money to get the latest version of the protocol, they will most likely opt to simply make due with older versions that are free. In other words, by choosing to use the newest version of the protocol, Apple Lion is now in a niche market when it comes to NAS devices.

I don't see any vendors jumping at the chance to upgrade their firmware for a device that's already been on the market and isn't going to pull any more profit for them, especially if such a move will cost them more money. Of course, there's always the altruistic notion of keeping customers happy even after the initial purchase on a product, but yeah...

djrbx

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
North Hollywood, CA
Great. So unless some company decides AFP is worth their money to get the latest version of the protocol, they will most likely opt to simply make due with older versions that are free. In other words, by choosing to use the newest version of the protocol, Apple Lion is now in a niche market when it comes to NAS devices. I don't see any vendors jumping at the chance to upgrade their firmware for a decide that's already been on the market and isn't going to pull any more profit for them, especially what such a move will cost them more money.

Although you are correct, I do see vendors offering support for AFP 2.2. It will just take time. Mainly why the hush hush with new firmware releases is due to the fact that most major vendors are not part of Apples Dev Community and thus have to wait for the actual release of Lion before they start developing new software/firmware/drivers to support it.

Unlike software developers who release applications for the OS and rely on having their products out for consumers to buy either day of or close to release day to make a profit, hardware vendors can hold back and wait for the official release. Thus saving the company from having to pony up doe for an Apple Dev account. Since most products are already bought and can be easily updated though software/firmware downloads, Companies like Netgear and QNAP or even Printer companies like HP and Cannon don't need to rush and to support new protocols. They can develop them as needed without the backlash from consumers with them being late on a release date or customers going "is the new update done yet?"

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
I wrote Lacie about this exact issue and they responded back about how they don't support unreleased Operating Systems. They are pretty good about firmware updates though, so I'm hoping my Lacie 2Big Network 2 will be compatible in the near future.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Well, in my case, I work for the actual company that makes the product I’m using. However, I have no insider info of Cisco’s home products, so I can only hope that they support AFP for external storage soon.

Oh well. I must remind myself that I’m the one who’s a yet-released version of OS X and therefore shouldn’t expect instantaneous support.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
They want you to buy new devices not and they do not want to spend any resources on their old devices. All in all a pretty scumbag move leaving their early adopters in the lurch especially since most of the v1 devices are still under warranty.

They will NEVER get another penny from me and I will make it a point to advise anyone to stay away.

Ezkimo42o

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Transmit connects because you are using an entirely different protocol to connect to the share. In this case, you are using SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol). AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) was the protocol updated by Apple.

The updated AFP in Lion adds more security in terms with connecting to shares. Current NAS boxes do not support this added security which causes the problem you are currently having.

When you did step two, did you try and login to your share or just allow it to connect? I suggest trying it again, copy and paste. But this time in step two, when it asks you for the user name and password, just leave the dialog box open and restart your computer without logging in and go to step 3 once the restart is complete.

Here are the commands again

--
--

Then:
--
--

2) From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file (DO NOT LOGIN, JUST REBOOT)

--
--

Then:
--
--

Copy the commands in between "--" entirely to terminal and hit enter.

Explanation: You are essentially reenabling the old AFP 2.1 support “DHCAST128″ which Apple disabled in Lion. Thus allowing you to connect you your "legacy share"

Old thread I know, but I just had to make an account to say thanks for the advice! It worked! Saved us a lot of time and money!

mjrickard

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Kudos djrbx

Echo that. I actually created an account just to post this thank you to djrbx. Great fix. Just turn on what Apple idiots turned off to save who/squat.

This had completely DISABLED a LaCie 10TB hard drive with our videos on it for the past six months. About a thousand dollars worth of hardware. LaCie acted like TOTAL MORONS about this. IT has been six days on a trouble ticket and they sent me to a link for some WINDOZE software that does nothing I can discern to address the problem.

This has been a KNOWN problem since last July, and Lacie can't put out a fix but djrbx has me up in about FIVE FREAKING MINUTES.

This is the second time I've had a LaCie product completey disabled by an Apple update. And it is the LAST purchase from LaCie. Don't know who is to blame for the breaks. But I DO know who fails TOTALLY in the product support category. LaCie. I wouldn't buy a thumb drive from them again.

Jack Rickard
http://www.EVTV.me

e.mcconnell

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Still can't get this to work?

I have tried everything that was suggested here and I still can't get this to work.

I am trying to connect to my LaCie Big5 Network 2 NAS

I have recently upgraded to Mac OS 10.8.2 and I am getting that same "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported".

Using the old Mac OS I used to be able to connect through Go>Network and selecting the Big5. When I try this now I can only connect as a "Guest" not a "Registered User". Connecting as a Guest creates a bunch of strange issues (ex: the files I save are "invisible" files).

I can connect to the Big5 via Go>Connect To Server>smb://Big5
But when I do this a number of the files appear only as Unix files that can not be used (especially Quark files)

Is there a way that I can go back to connecting to the Big5 with afp?

If not is there a way to connect the Big5 to an older mac (with the old OS) as an external drive? That way I can put the older mac on the network and access the Big5 through it?

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.